Noob question about CO2 cartridges

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
albacore

Noob question about CO2 cartridges

Post by albacore » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:36 am

Hi,

I have my first kit conditioning in a budget barrel, bought as part of a Woodforde's microbrewery kit.

After drawing off a couple of pints over the last couple of nights, the flow slowed so I tried to use my CO2 cartridge to get the pressure up again.

I screwed the cartridge in in its holder - nothing happened for a lot of turning, then suddenly I had an almighty screeching and some beer spraying about. After loosening off the cartridge, there was some beer bubbling from around the plastic ring under the brass thread of the valve, but this soon died down.

After recovering from the shock, I tapped off some more beer to drink, and the pressure was back up and the flow good.

So, my feeling is that some things worked and some things didn't.

I got the pressure back, and excess pressure came out of the brass/plastic valve - I'm assuming this is as expected. However, what's with the screeching?

How are these cartridges meant to work? I got the impression I was meant to screw it in for a little squirt, and then unscrew - is that right? How many topups should an 8g cartridge manage?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

Matt

wetdog

Re: Noob question about CO2 cartridges

Post by wetdog » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:37 am

Hi Matt,
firstly, don't worry about the screeching, it happens sometimes, either that or a sudden loud hiss or more gradual long 'sigh'
Once the cartridge has been screwed in you have to leave it in until the beer flow slows which could be anything from a few pints to half a barrel. Unscrewing it, even slightly does not preserve any gas inside the bulb for later use as there is no valve in the bulb, it is either punctured and all the gas escapes or not punctured and the gas has not escaped.
The only reason I can see for beer escaping from the pressure release valve is if the barrel had been moved and a head developed on top of the beer inside, or if the barrel was over-full. Was the barrel new? It may be that the valve nuts under the lid may need to be tightend or the rubber washers replaced

albacore

Post by albacore » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:47 pm

wetdog wrote:The only reason I can see for beer escaping from the pressure release valve is if the barrel had been moved and a head developed on top of the beer inside, or if the barrel was over-full. Was the barrel new? It may be that the valve nuts under the lid may need to be tightend or the rubber washers replaced
Thanks wetdog.

It wasn't tons of beer. The barrel is nearly full - as I say, I have only had a couple of pints out of it, and I had it filled to the brim to start with. I think the injection of pressure foamed it up at the top of the barrel, and this is what came out of the valve.

On these brass valves, I can't see where excess pressure is meant to come out anyway.

I guess I need some more cartridges!

Matt

wetdog

Post by wetdog » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:45 pm

pity you didn't post last week, I gave away 5 packs of those bulbs now that I've sold all my plastic barrels. I see you are in Nottingham too...

albacore

Post by albacore » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:14 am

wetdog,

not to worry - thanks for the advice.

All,

For anybody else finding this topic, I have just found another one that goes into these issues in great depth:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27762

All the best,

Matt

EoinMag

Post by EoinMag » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:05 pm

When full those barrels should only be filled to just above the tap level, I think the beer had to escape because you didn't have enough headroom to take the gas cannister. Next time just fill it with five gallons, don't go over that which you have obviously done if it was full to the top.