Cleaning cornelius keg

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Shoit

Cleaning cornelius keg

Post by Shoit » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:10 pm

Can someone kind please give me a idiots guide to cleaning a cornelius keg from start to finish? I've got two that have been sitting here for 2 months whilst my back recovered from surgery. I want to brew again soon but haven't really got a clue how to clean and sterilise them before putting my prescious beer in there!! I've seen a couple of posts that talk broadly about how to do it but I need a IDIOTS guide.

Anyone able to help?

Thanks in advance

Kev

6470zzy
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Re: Cleaning cornelius keg

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:39 pm

"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
Oscar Wilde

Shoit

Post by Shoit » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks - that's an interesting way of cleaning and sanitizing. Are the posts etc... easy to remove?

Kev

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Yes quite easy, once you have done it you will realize just how simple.
Oscar Wilde

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:25 am

Theres a guy on Youtube too called Chris Knight I think whos done a great 4 part video to cleaning them completely. Sorry havent got the link at the mo.

guidomax

Post by guidomax » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:49 am

FWIW, my cleaning regime

take lid, posts, dip tubes off keg. Take o-rings off lid, dip tubes. Bung all these bits (apart from the long dip tube) in a pan of boiling water to bubble away while you do the rest.

Leave the long dip tube in the cornie.

Fill cornie up with warm water to the top. Add hefty scoop of soda crystals. Get new washing-up sponge, get arm in cornie, scrub inside of cornie. Pay particular attention to the dimple in the centre of the base of the tube, as I always get some trub down there. Give the top of the keg a scrub too while you're at it.

Empty hot water out, rinse with cold a couple of times. Take posts, tubes, lid, o-rings etc out of boiling water, reassemble on keg.

Put in a litre of videne solution (1.25ml in 1 litre water, search forum for videne for more details). Close lid. Put keg on side and over the course of a couple of minutes, slowly roll keg on floor to ensure solution touches entirity of inside. Turn upside down, hold for 20 seconds or so to sanitise top. Put back the right way up, leave for 20 seconds to sanitise bottom.

Open lid, pour out videne solution. No need to rinse (no-rinse cleaner).

Now it's ready to fill with beer and gas up :)

I guess the only downfall with this method is that the inside of the long dip tube only gets a soak with soda crystal solution and nothing more hardcore. I've not had a problem with this though. If I ever do, I guess it's pipe-cleaner time :)

First time I did it, it took a while as I was browsing JBK at the same time. Now I can do a keg in about 10/15 mins, so it's really not a whole lot of work.

leedsbrew

Post by leedsbrew » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:41 am

guidomax wrote:
I guess the only downfall with this method is that the inside of the long dip tube only gets a soak with soda crystal solution and nothing more hardcore. I've not had a problem with this though. If I ever do, I guess it's pipe-cleaner time :)

I get to the point where the keg is full of idophor (videne) and gas up, then dispense some iodine solution to sanitise the dip. :D Works for me :)

6470zzy

Post by 6470zzy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:21 pm

crookedeyeboy wrote:Theres a guy on Youtube too called Chris Knight I think whos done a great 4 part video to cleaning them completely. Sorry havent got the link at the mo.

Here is the link, Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisknight000#p/u
Oscar Wilde