Tap problem

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Whrrr

Tap problem

Post by Whrrr » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:03 pm

I've just put my first brew in one of those budget 5 gallon kegs, conditioned it and and now serving a Wherry kit brew. When I dispense a pint, it comes out with such force and in such a way that it's 95% head and only 5% liquid! The only way I can get a decent pint is to have it on a tiny trickle and take about 3-4 minutes to pour. Is this normal? The beer itself is not particularly gassy when drunk - a little flat for some tastes if anything. Is it something to do with the tap? I let it run down the side of the glass rather than a straight pour as this helps, but even so...

Other people's experiences would be of interest.

With thanks,
Mark

EoinMag

Re: Tap problem

Post by EoinMag » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:56 pm

See if you can get a piece of hose or other pipe that you can attach to the tap, long enough to reach the bottom of your pint glass, that will help a lot.

StrangeBrew
Under the Table

Post by StrangeBrew » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:49 pm

Too much pressure in the keg is causing the problem.
How are you pressurising the keg, natural Co2 from secondary fermentation or are you adding Co2 from bulb or cylinder?
Where have you stored your keg? Put it somewhere cool (10 to 15c) might well help.
To lower the pressure in the keg to allow you to pour a reasonable pint, you could gently pinch the rubber that covers the valve on the lid to release Co2.

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:35 pm

Generally speaking, you'll have too much pressure to begin with and too little as the keg empties. You can let the pressure out now, but that just means you'll have to add gas later on when the pressure drops too low. With it being cold at the moment, the problem is worse because there's more CO2 dissolved in the beer.

A bit of hose will help. I've also heard that the tapered turkey basters are good. I tried one a week or so ago and it did deliver a good pint, but I found it tended to blow off the tap. It looks like you need to open out the hole at the bottom too, or it doesn't drain down. I may persevere with this as I think it has promise.

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:08 pm

You just need to practice your tap control. :wink:

Whrrr

Post by Whrrr » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Thanks for all the helpful advice. Looks like a combination of high pressure, room temperature and inexperience!

I'll try the tube idea. I've nowhere cool with enough room to get a pint glass under the tap so it's in the kitchen at about 18 degrees. The cupboard under the stairs is about 14 degrees so maybe if I build a little stand for dispensing that would work.

Must be time to get another brew on...