Beer engine o-ring help, at my wits end!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Beer engine o-ring help, at my wits end!

Post by flytact » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:45 pm

I've been having no luck with replacing the o-rings on my beer engine. I've got a leak from the push rod at the bottom of the chamber. Below is a diagram of the push rod connection on an Angram CO model. The o-rings are in red. O-ring #3 and the plastic washer get pushed up into the piece above and affixed with a metal star-like clip.
If any of you can recommend the o-ring sizes that would be appreciated. I tried the local distributor (UKbrewing) and all he would tell me was that he had a $27 replacement kit.
Thanks in advance and have a happy new year!
Johnny Clueless was there
With his simulated wood grain

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Beer engine o-ring help, at my wits end!

Post by trucker5774 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:14 pm

These people are VERY helpfull. I have emailed photos to them and got spares http://www.worthside.co.uk/purchase.html

I would first of all visit a good plumbers merchant or even B&Q. I have replaced most of my 'o' rings from universal kits.
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

tubthumper

Post by tubthumper » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:34 pm

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:34 pm

Thank you for the replies. I've sent an email with the same picture to Colin Farrar Beer Dispense Equipment. Hopefully I'll get some help there as well.
I'll take the engine apart again and bring the bits to the store with me this time. I'll also look for a metric kit like the one in the link.

OK, just did a search. Do I get the 397 piece kit or the 419 piece kit #-o
I'll get one of these if I can't find the measurements for the three o-rings that I think I need.

Thanks to all.

tubthumper

Post by tubthumper » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:14 pm

get the cheapest one and then when youfind the correct size it will be easy to ge them again from plumbers
or maybee worth finding a good plumbers merchant ( not plumbase or multi like them) snd take the part and ask what they got to fit
you will be surprised at what a good plumbers stocks.

iowalad
Under the Table

Post by iowalad » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Fly,

Let me know if you find any decent o-rings here in the states.
Mine all need to be replaced as well.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:08 pm

I heard back from Steve at Colin Farrar he said that the o-rings in question are BS111 Nitrile 70 Shore. (10.78mm ID x 15.6mm OD x 2.62mm Section)
Basically all you need is the "-111", BN70 material, which is also the size of the o-rings on your corny posts and very easy to get!
I went on line and the first place I found called oringsUSA has all sorts for 25 cents each (even the silicone ones for kettles)
Unfortunately, I was only given one size o-ring. The furthest to the bottom has got to be smaller that the other two. I'll wait for another reply and then order a whole envelope full and retrofit everything.
Here's hoping I can get all this accomplished before the keg is ready next week.

flytact
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by flytact » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Just wanting to follow up on the results. Took apart the engine and replaced the o-rings #1 and #2 in the picture above with standard corny post o-rings and success =D>
Except now I have a 1/3 pint engine rather than 1/2 pint. #-o
Will need some tinkering.