SS Mash Tun

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
crookedeyeboy

SS Mash Tun

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Ive seen quite a few of these dotted about and was just wondered what people use to insulate them with? Or SS ok on its own without insulation?

Thanks

delboy

Re: SS Mash Tun

Post by delboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Get one of the bain maries which comes double skinned with insulation already in between the walls. Thats what others and myself have, work a treat and still look very shiny :D

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:20 pm

delboy wrote:Get one of the bain maries which comes double skinned with insulation already in between the walls. Thats what others and myself have, work a treat and still look very shiny :D
Have you got a link?

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:17 pm

crookedeyeboy wrote:Have you got a link?
they used to be sold on UK eBay, but they only seem to be on the French site now.

go to http://www.ebay.fr then either search for "marmite" or look at the items being sold by the seller catering-service-fr

they don't seem to have any at the moment, just single walled stockpots, but if you message them in English they will reply, and tell you whether they have any in at the moment, how much and how to order.

I believe they do 35l, 50, 70 and 80litre, I have converted two 50 litre and use one as a tun, my mate ScottyMc has the other, they are brill and lose less than a degree over 90mins as long as you preheat them with higher than needed mash liquor. I'll be getting an 80 when I get myself sorted.

softlad

Post by softlad » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:37 pm

Is this a French version of catering-portal on German ebay ?

I was looking at a 70l stock pot and a 50l thermopot but they havent listed any since just before Christmas. I tend to brew 23 litre batches but sometimes brew to 10 gal. Would these be suitable vessels for the job ?

jaycee

Post by jaycee » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Here's the link -

http://shop.ebay.fr/catering-service-fr ... ksid=p4340

Send them an email, i bet they have some in stock.
Last edited by jaycee on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:42 pm

they are ideal, I have a 50 litre one, I did 60 litre brew of Black lager last year, think it's around 5%, that fitted no problem

if they aren't listing any, just email or message them through eBay, they are sometimes a bit slow at getting back to you but they will eventually.

softlad

Post by softlad » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks for that

I've emailed them over the Christmas break but not had a reply yet.

I'll try them again if I get no joy this week

dubboy

Post by dubboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:15 pm

you looking to upgrade your mash tun already dude

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:38 pm

softlad wrote:Is this a French version of catering-portal on German ebay ?
Yes, it's the same company. Although they tend to use different selling tactics on the German catering-portal website.

I noticed that 100L stockpots always sell for much more in Germany, even though the start price is only Euro 0.99.
Yet in France, with a start price of Euro 46.95, auctions can finish without bids.

softlad

Post by softlad » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks for that - I thought they were as the items for sale were too similar.

It sounds like French ebay then as soon as they have stock available

uni_keg

Post by uni_keg » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Blackaddler wrote:
softlad wrote:Is this a French version of catering-portal on German ebay ?

Yes, it's the same company. Although they tend to use different selling tactics on the German catering-portal website.

I noticed that 100L stockpots always sell for much more in Germany, even though the start price is only Euro 0.99.
Yet in France, with a start price of Euro 46.95, auctions can finish without bids.
Possibly worth e-mailing first with requirements (I wanted MT and pot) and ask a question about total postage :lol:

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Don't forget it's the 'Thermos' pot that you want for your MT :wink:

shhmanning

Post by shhmanning » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:28 am

Softlad - I sent catering-service-fr a message through eBay on the afternoon of the 30th December and got a reply on the 31st! There's been a few messages back and forth over the following few days. I reckon you should drop them another message and they should get back to you.

I'm now awaiting arrival of a shiny 100l pot, 2 70l pots and also a 6l thermo which will eventually be converted into a heat exchanger. I dealt with Sandra and Nadine and they were both very helpful. They even gave me a lower price than their starting bids on eBay -
100l S/S pot + lid - 42.90 EUR
70l S/S pots + lids - 35.90 EUR each
6l S/S thermo pot + lid - 25.90 EUR
Delivery to Scotland - 29.90 EUR

I'm well chuffed!!!!

Good luck on your shiny quest.

S

softlad

Post by softlad » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:34 am

Thanks. I'll message them again through ebay

Edit : Message sent