Corny Keg query

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Corny Keg query

Post by dcq1974 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:11 pm

Sounds like the Cornies in the garage cold?
If so, the beer will absorb mega amounts of CO2 in the current temperatures, hence you will have to add mega amounts of CO2 to keep Cornie under pressure (I'm sure even if you initially pressurise at say 20 - 30 psi then even if the beer absorbs CO2 then lid will stay sealed from nasties)

Apologies if I am repeating anyone or teaching to suck eggs!
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

Jolum
Hollow Legs

Post by Jolum » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:07 am

Hi dcq1974, no egg sucking here :)

I can't explain it though, after a couple of nights of giving it a quick splash of 35psi for about 5 minutes then turning the gas off at the bottle (left the pipes all connected etc and the tap on the OUT post. It's all good and fizzy. So no leaks, how??? The only thing that I can assume is that I hadn't pushed the connector all the way on to the IN post when I left it at 10psi for two weeks. Can't be, can it? :oops:
I'm very confused and I don't like mysteries but the beer is carbonating so I won't complain.

I did notice that if I remove the tap from the OUT post the next day there is a bubble of beer resting on top of the post, could that be the leak? If so can I replace the 0-ring\washer\post?
"Everybody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink." - W.C. Fields

adm

Post by adm » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:16 am

Jolum wrote:Hi dcq1974, no egg sucking here :)

I did notice that if I remove the tap from the OUT post the next day there is a bubble of beer resting on top of the post, could that be the leak? If so can I replace the 0-ring\washer\post?
That's quite normal - don't worry about it. Just give it a wipe when you disconnect the beer out.

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:49 am

Hi chaps, i had a leeky post on me cornie from Norm, he sent me a new post but it is for gas not beer out. how do i remove the poppet? it looks like its legs sit on a shelf inside of the post. do i just bend them in with something small and pointy?

ta...sorry to hyjack the thread!

Steve

mentaldental

Post by mentaldental » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:43 pm

adm wrote:The best way to check on leaks is to make sure all connections as tight, then paint/spray water with some washing up liquid in it over all joints. If you have gas leaks, then they will blow bubbles!
I am uncomfortable using washing up liquid (good though it is) if I have beer in the keg. Fairy does not improve the taste of beer IMHO. :wink: . I find that a working dilution of Starsan is good enough and should be OK if it gets into the beer.

adm

Post by adm » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:50 pm

Plus, you're looking for inside pressure pushing out - so the solution will be blown out of the keg, not sucked into it!