Corny Keg query

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jolum
Hollow Legs

Corny Keg query

Post by Jolum » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:43 pm

No, nothing to do with SQL :)

Ok, so I've read all there is to read about corny kegs (Chris' thing on the tips page and everything I could find on this forum and beyond) but I'm still confused.

Couple of weeks back (Boxing day to be exact) I filled my first ever corny with my lovingly brewed London Pride.
I initially set the dial on the reg to 35psi to seal it, left that for about 30 minutes or so, then turned it down to just over 10psi.

Anyhow, I've been checking the reg every other night or so to make sure it's still at 10psi, no leaks etc but last night shock horror, the reg stated 0psi. For a minute I thought the bottle was empty so turned the little pressure screw but up it shot again. I might add that it had been locked with the little locking nut so there's no way it could have moved (or is there?). Checked the ale in the corny by pouring a bit out through the tap and it's flat as a pancake. What have I done wrong??

For info my setup is one I got from Norm, standard corny key, reg and 2Kg bottle (need to go to Nottingham to get a bigger bottle as per Wetdogs directions :)), it's all in the garage which at the moment is a rather chilly 8degrees

Regards
J
"Everybody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink." - W.C. Fields

jubby
Under the Table

Re: Corny Keg query

Post by jubby » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:00 pm

The beer will absorb Co2, so the pressure will drop. The amount of absorption depends on temperature. I tend to pressurize the keg to about 30psi, turn off the gas and leave it alone. The beer absorbs the Co2 and leaves the top pressure at around 2-10psi. This is at a regulated 11C.

I would give it another blast with 30psi, turn the gas off and leak check the lid, valve and gas poppet valve. If no leaks, leave it to carbonate. There is a carbonation table somewhere, but i can't remember where.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

Hoodlum

Post by Hoodlum » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:22 pm

and, to reiterate what Jubby says, never leave the gas bottle attached to the corny, as if you do have a leak, it will empty your gas bottle and you'll be none the wiser.

You need to give the corny a blast at a high presuure to seal the lid in place. If you're unsure whether it leaks or not, spray some slightly diluted washing up liquid over the top of the lid to see if and where you're getting bubbles from. Do this as a test before you put beer in it ideally of course....

You could also have a leaky post, so don't forget to check those too. A new set of o rings won't be much and a lot of homebrew places stock them.

Hawkinspm

Post by Hawkinspm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:41 pm

I've found mine only seal well with the lids a specific way round - they look like they should go either way, but I get a slow leak if I get it wrong but seal perfectly otherwise. I have been known to come back to a beer after 3 weeks, find it flat - turn the lid, blast it with 20psi and after a couple of days all is well... :D

Jolum
Hollow Legs

Post by Jolum » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Cheers lads. Lots to think about and try.
Will check it tonight and follow your advice - check for leaks, give it a blast at 35psi, disconnect the gas and see what it's like tomorrow. If it's still flat tomorrow I'll try Hawkinspm's idea of turning the lid around and starting again.
I do hope it doesn't mess the beer up as although flat it tasted great already :D
"Everybody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink." - W.C. Fields

adm

Post by adm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Maybe......just maybe, you've got the gas attached to the wrong post on the corny, and the disconnect isn't opening (if you put them on the wrong post, they can feel like they are seated properly, but actually aren't) - so the reg gauge would show the pressure in the pipe, but no gas is getting into the keg ?????

Worth a look, cos you should have at least some fizz in the beer by now!

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:01 am

Great post, Im in the same situation at the moment after filling my first Keg last week. Looks like I might have been doing right in the first place but I was only going up to 20psi then leaving it...will bang it up to 35psi tonight!

Jolum
Hollow Legs

Post by Jolum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:01 am

Hi Adm, No checked it again last night, the gas is definitely connected to the 'In' post. That's right, right?

Still confused though, about the two dials. The one with the Red indicator on it, that's the one that tells me the pressure within the bottle, correct? It currently states 50psi (just over the red indicator mark). Though it states that regardless of whether I've opened the bottle or not, it only drops when I close the botttle and turn the setting screw on the reg all the way out. Is that right?

The other dial, is that suppose to tell me the pressure within the corny or is it just set according to the screw (bit like an alarm hand on a clock), because again, say I set it to 35psi, then turn the bottle off and disconnect the pipe leading to the corny it still states 35psi until I release it by turning the screw all the way out. Is it just registering the preassure within the pipe leading to the quick release connector?

Sorry, if this all sounds like bollox. I should really have taken some pics of the regulator, will have to do that tonight as I'm now at work until 6pm :( ...I just want slightly fizzy beer :?

adm

Post by adm » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:56 am

Yep, definitely the gas goes to the IN post. You should also have a Grey disconnect for the Gas side, and a Black one on the Beer side.

As for the gauges, the one with the red area in it gives the bottle pressure and should be reading in Bar, not PSI. 50 Bar is about 700 PSI and is absolutely normal. In cold weather, that could drop to 40 Bar or so and you'd still have plenty CO2 in the bottle. When you connect the bottle to the reg, it will show the pressure in the bottle. If you then close the tap on the bottle, that amount of pressure will still be in the tube from the bottle to the reg, so the gauge will indeed still show 50 Bar - unless you have a leak. Your setup seems to be behaving perfectly normally.

Same thing with the other dial (which indicates the output pressure setting and is adjusted by turning the screw). If you remove the keg disconnect, then again (unless you have a leak), you will still have pressure in the line between the reg and the disconnect - so the gauge will indicated that. To discharge that pressure, you back the screw out.

So it sounds as if everything is working properly and you have no leaks between the bottle and the grey disconnect.

Jolum
Hollow Legs

Post by Jolum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:27 am

Phew, thanks Adm. I was even confusing myself trying to explain what my assumptions were but it sounds like what I thought is exactly what you said. So that still begs the question why did my pressure dial (from reg to corny) drop to 0?? And why is the beer still flatter than the Netherlands after nearly 2 weeks at 10psi??

Last night I gave it a burst (around 5 minutes) at 35psi then disconnected the gas line to the corny, then turned off the bottle and released the pressure in the reg. Hope that was the right way to do things. (Should I have turned the bottle off first??). Couldn't see or hear any leaks or hissing but then again it could be a tiny leak that my old eyes\ears can't detect.
Will check tonight to see if there is any pressure left in the corny. I assume that either quickly lifting the pressure relief valve or connecting my tap to the OUT post and giving it a quick squirt should be ok. If there's no pressure then it's safe to assume that either the lid is on the wrong way round (a la Hawkinspm's tip) or there's a leak from a seal,post etc.

Thanks again. And as ever I will update as events unfold :)

Hoodlum

Post by Hoodlum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:55 pm

you'll need to do this when you've emptied the beer, but it would be worth stripping the posts and seals out, cleaning them thoroughly and re-asssembling. Get a seal set and replace them all. That way you know that the seals are fresh and theefore shouldn't be giving you the problem. How full is the corny? A mega full corny will seemingly scoff CO2 as there is only a small headspace above the beer, so 10psi in a small space will easily be absorbed into the beer even over two weeks without noticably fizzing it up.

I tend to seal at something ridiculous - 50psi or so, dropping to 10psi after a while, but even 50psi on a full corny will mean it needs topping up over time. Cornies are rated to 130psi if irc.

adm

Post by adm » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:04 pm

Personally, I just connect the gas and leave it permanently connected. However I do KNOW that I don't have any gas leaks in the system.

In my opinion, this is the best way to do it - if you are sure that you have no leaks. If you do have leaks though, you will loose a whole bottle of CO2 fairly quickly!

The best way to check on leaks is to make sure all connections as tight, then paint/spray water with some washing up liquid in it over all joints. If you have gas leaks, then they will blow bubbles!

Once you are sure you have no leaks, you can just leave the gas attached for a completely "set and forget" approach.

Trunky

:)

Post by Trunky » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:12 pm

:)
Last edited by Trunky on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Definately definately definately take the thing to pieces and give it a thorough clean. I got mine from Norm and even though it is reconditioned the posts hadnt been removed in ages. I couldnt believe the amount of crud that came out once I soaked them in cleaner steriliser.

Jolum
Hollow Legs

Post by Jolum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:43 pm

Good stuff all.

Well, have one more meeting at 5pm then off home, kiss the wife and kids...then go check on the beer in the garage :D