King Keg help, please

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
leigh1919

King Keg help, please

Post by leigh1919 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:31 pm

I've got some Hambleton Bard King Kegs that need using, so want to avoid bottling the next brew and just rack straight into King Keg. I have one gas canister - i beleive its called an s30?

now, firstly, would you recommend I buy a new gas canister? This ones probably not been used in 5 years I reckon, but there's no way of telling how much gas is in it.

secondly, do I literally screw it into the top? Will 'the correct' amount of gas come out automatically? Anyone use these suckers regulary?

thanks dudes

guidomax

Re: King Keg help, please

Post by guidomax » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi leigh1919,

Somewhere on the S30 canister there _should_ be a (handwritten) 'tare weight' noted. This is the weight of the cylinder on its own, with no gas in, so if you pop it on the scales and they read the same as the tare weight, then all the gas has gone out of the cylinder. Alternatively, screw it onto the cap as below and see if any gas comes out :)

Fortunately, either way, if you do need a refill you don't need to buy a new cylinder - the refills are done on an exchange basis, so as you already have one, take it into your LHBS and they'll swap the entire cylinder there and then and just charge you a fiver or so (for the gas), so you get what's in effect a 'new' cylinder full of gas. They then send the empty cylinder back to Hambleton Bard who refill it and the cycle starts again.

The way you use it is, you screw it onto the valve on the cap of the KK and after a few turns, gas starts coming out. To stop the gas, just screw back the other way. I'd only recommend giving a 1 second burst at a time, as the gas when coming out gets very cold which can perish the rubber valves if they're cold for too long at a time.

Hope this helps, any questions fire away :)

crafty john

Post by crafty john » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:20 pm

leigh1919 wrote:I've got some Hambleton Bard King Kegs that need using, so want to avoid bottling the next brew and just rack straight into King Keg. I have one gas canister - i beleive its called an s30?

now, firstly, would you recommend I buy a new gas canister? This ones probably not been used in 5 years I reckon, but there's no way of telling how much gas is in it.

secondly, do I literally screw it into the top? Will 'the correct' amount of gas come out automatically? Anyone use these suckers regulary?

thanks dudes
I would check if the canister has any gas in it, just screw it on to your valve and you will hear it hiss, don't leave it on though or you will loose all your gas, when you want to add CO2 to your beer you only need a 1 second burst, leave it any longer than a couple of seconds and you will freeze the valve or your keg will deform and then explode :shock: I use s30 cylinders all the time as do most people on JBK they are about £5.00 for a refill at your local HBS just pop in with your empty and they will give you a full one for a fiver, they cost about £20.00 for a new one, I have 2 so I never run out.

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:22 pm

Get youself another s30 canister to go with the one you already have,as you will find they run out with little or no warning.As for gassing the keg, screw the canister on gently until gas starts to flow,unscrew half a turn and then give a few 1 second bursts of gas.Dont leave the canister connected to the keg.
Only the fool, in the abundance of water is thirsty!!
The Right Honourable Robert Nesta Marley

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

Stonechat
Under the Table

Post by Stonechat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:15 pm

All excellent advice given so far.

In addition to what's been said, as well as taking the S30 off the top of the barrel, put the valve end to your ear before leaving it. If you hear a slight hissing give the valve nipple a sharp push with something like a screwdriver handle so that it reseats properly.

Doing this will save all the CO2 escaping overnight leading to more global warming and a trip to the HBS for a £5 replacement.

I use a stock of 4 of them and replace 2 or 3 at a time so I don't run out.

Lillywhite

Post by Lillywhite » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:22 pm

guidomax wrote:
Somewhere on the S30 canister there _should_ be a (handwritten) 'tare weight' noted. This is the weight of the cylinder on its own, with no gas in, so if you pop it on the scales and they read the same as the tare weight, then all the gas has gone out of the cylinder. Alternatively, screw it onto the cap as below and see if any gas comes out :)
That's the best method.

Alternatively, to find out if it's completely empty, just shake it and the valve will rattle when there's no gas left. :wink:

leigh1919

Post by leigh1919 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks guys - excellent advice all round.

I'll probably reignite this thread when i use them - looking at start of Feb now.

thanks guys - happy brewing. =D>

BrewingAgain

Post by BrewingAgain » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:25 pm

If you had 40 pints in your pressure barrel and kept it topped up with CO2 then how long would the beer stay drinkable ? For example, if you had 40 pints and drew off two pints per night then would you expect the beer to be fine on the 20th day ?

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:15 am

BrewingAgain wrote:If you had 40 pints in your pressure barrel and kept it topped up with CO2 then how long would the beer stay drinkable ? For example, if you had 40 pints and drew off two pints per night then would you expect the beer to be fine on the 20th day ?
Depends on what type of beer it is but for a normal bitter of between 4-5%abv as long as it's kept under pressure a few months. Although you will probably notice hop bitterness levels going down. Within your time limit of 20 days it should be good to the last.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA

BrewingAgain

Post by BrewingAgain » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:01 pm

TC2642, thanks for that. I've got a couple of Boots barrels but have only used them to bottle from with a little bottler attachment. The bottled beer that I've made is still drinkable after six months in the bottle. In fact, I think it has improved over time. I'll give barrelling a go as soon as my next brew is finished and I've got a S30 valve for the barrel cap.

TC2642
Even further under the Table

Post by TC2642 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:58 pm

BrewingAgain wrote:TC2642, thanks for that. I've got a couple of Boots barrels but have only used them to bottle from with a little bottler attachment. The bottled beer that I've made is still drinkable after six months in the bottle. In fact, I think it has improved over time. I'll give barrelling a go as soon as my next brew is finished and I've got a S30 valve for the barrel cap.
I use two boots barrels and one kig keg with great results, they are both over 10 years old now but as long as you keep them clean and in good condition I cannot see why they won't last me the whole of my life.
Fermenting -!
Maturing - Lenin's Revenge RIS
Drinking - !
Next brew - PA
Brew after next brew - IPA