How can I make my seals better/more effective

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
silkyuk9

How can I make my seals better/more effective

Post by silkyuk9 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:05 pm

hi.

this winter i have found i have more leaks than usual. how can i make my seals better so that its minimising leaks?

i have 2 barrels that i bought from wilkinson's you know they are the white plastic ones with the smaller cap, i have brass fittings that take the little co2 bulbs, 2 of my barrels seem to be losing pressure. i inject a bulb and get 2 or 3 good pints of beer then the following night my barrel is flat and i need more perssure.

my other 2 barrels are those one from Boots with the larger caps.

i dont usually get many leaks but seems to be a problem this year.

prolix

Re: How can I make my seals better/more effective

Post by prolix » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:46 pm

you can grease the seals with vasaline that works. the cap and the gas valve seals. Just make sure you do not overtighten or it can distort the seal and it will leak.

mentaldental

Re: How can I make my seals better/more effective

Post by mentaldental » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:24 pm

prolix wrote:you can grease the seals with vasaline that works. the cap and the gas valve seals. Just make sure you do not overtighten or it can distort the seal and it will leak.
Yup that makes a lot of difference. Also check the seal and seating carefully for foreign matter. Even the smallest speck of crud can cause a leak.

Of course seals do need to be changed when they get old but yours are pretty new so it shouldn't be that!