Help needed please - close to quiting :@

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
DarloDave

Re: Help needed please - close to quiting :@

Post by DarloDave » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks for the replys everyone, Ill have a look into B&Q and see about getting a Hozelock adaptor and seeing if that helps. Fingers crossed. [-o<

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Cheers for the help! got this one sorted! Got my cornie tap fixed, now to get everything cleaned (they're pretty dirty, will soda crystals and star san do?) and get brewing!

harry_mac

Post by harry_mac » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:29 pm

I'd be a bit careful about using anything acidic like Star San on stainless.

The consensus on JBK seems to be that it's ok to use diluted chlorine as long as you keep the contact time down to no more than about 20 mins, so that's what I use.

My basic routine is to dismantle what I can and give everything a good rinse. I then soak what fits into a bowl of disolved soda crystals (everything but the corny body and long dip tube). I then go about cleaning the inside of the keg. I can just about get my arm in to wipe with a cloth, an alternative might be to use kettles of boiling water and/or hose or pressure wash. Everything then gets another rinse and put back together with a litre or 2 of diluted thin bleach added to the keg. I then give it a good shake-up, fill the long dip tube with chlorine by injecting CO2 and momentarily releasing the out valve, then leave for 10 minutes. After that I empty and give it another rinse out with tap water (including forcing water through the out valve) and it's ready to fill.

One thing I do need to improve on is cleaning the long dip tube. At the moment I don't have anything to get inside them. Last time I looked H&G did brushes to fit them, so I may get one next time I order. Alternatively, I was really impressed with the job a caustic soda solution did on some neglected demijons last week so I might give that a whirl.