Nordic 60L Mash Tun Conversion!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
andysmok

Nordic 60L Mash Tun Conversion!

Post by andysmok » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:32 pm

OK I have finally got most of the components to build my Stainless set up, which i will be following Vossys 'How to' to making my mash tun a bottom drainer.I am a little worried out drilling holes through my lovely looking thermo pot, any advise on the best type of hole cutter to use would be a great help. Also does anyone know of a supplier of perforated stainless steel sheeting for me to use to make a false bottom. I'll keep this post alive with updates and pic's as i go through the steps to making my new mash tun.

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Nordic 60L Mash Tun Conversion!

Post by Garth » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:58 pm

I found decent perforated plate by simply searching the net, and eBay, if you buy a sheet you could probably sell the excess to other folk making them.

adm

Post by adm » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:09 pm

I'd take a bit.....if I could figure out how to cut it into a smooth circle....

tubthumper

Post by tubthumper » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:24 pm

cut a smooth circle in stainless not as hard as you might think
just need an angle grinder and a good blade
some threaded rod ( think its m14 but not absolutly sure until I check mine )
and some nuts fro rod and pice of wood or whatever you want to make the pivot from
makes a compass of sorts ,
other way is to get a template a bit bigger than the size you want and bolt a bit of wood to andle grinders hole for handle on the top of the unit, make sure the bit of wood is as long as the blade so you can steer the grinder round.
look online for how to cut open a stainless steel barrel might give you the idea

adm

Post by adm » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:25 pm

I was thinking along these lines earlier. A pivot bolt through one of the holes in the mesh and something to hold the grinder....

Although I don't have a grinder. I DO have a dremel tool, but it would take a lot of the little cutting wheels to go all the way around.

I really fancy buying a plasma cutter to play with, but I don't really have any use for one, so my Mrs probably won't let me do that!