12v/220v Mash tun/cool box

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
badgerdan

12v/220v Mash tun/cool box

Post by badgerdan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:27 pm

Apologies if this has been written about before but I have searched and found nothing.

I'm looking to build a mash tun and found lots of cool box's with a built in cooling fan and heater. Just wondering if these could be a good thing to use to keep the temp at a constant temp? It's better used for chilling but when switched over for heating it's keeps warm food in the box warmer for longer (rather than actually heating it up) If the temp starts to drop quite a bit way before time than maybe the 'heater' can stop this?

Also, as copper here in Norway is expensive can I just use a food/boil safe plastic tube for a hob filter? Is stainless steel also ok to use or does it have a disadvantage to copper?

Oh and how big does a mash tun have to be for a standard 5 gallon brew?

haz66

Re: 12v/220v Mash tun/cool box

Post by haz66 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:18 pm

At a guess i`d say there is no reason why these wouldn`t work to maintain temp, but i`ve never come across one
so cant say for sure.

Boil safe food grade plastic pipe might be ok, but you dont want it to squash under the weight of the grains,
but food grade stainless (316) would be fine to use instead of copper but i think you`ll find it more expansive than copper.

A 20ltr or slightly bigger would be fine for 5 gallon brews, as long as you weren`t going for very high gravity beers,
if you are then maybe a 30ltr wouldbe better.