Immersion chiller efficiency

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Scotty

Immersion chiller efficiency

Post by Scotty » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:56 pm

Any idea how efficient an immersion cooler will be when brewing 10Gallon+ brewlengths?

I have an IC made of 12mm microbore copper of around 12m in length. I also have the remainder of the copper coil at 12m also. Should I make another IC to work in tandem with the original or would a counterflow chiller be better given the volumes concerned?

I do prefer the idea of dropping the cooler into the wort, so no messing about with sterilising though :wink:

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Immersion chiller efficiency

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:34 pm

My preference would be to use the remaining pipe and add to your chiller with a smaller or wider coil
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:42 pm

Consider adding some elbows to introduce some turbulance too, if you have a nice smoth run for the cooling water you wont get the best heat transfer.....my Immersion Cooler is a rectangular shape made with 15mm copper pipe and lots of elbows and works very well, i have the flow turned right up at the beginging of the cool but as the outflow of the IC cools down to luke warm i turn the flow down a bit...to save a bit of water.

steve

dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by dcq1974 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:48 pm

Show us a Pic Steve! A list of parts would be nice also :lol:
:D
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:24 am

dcq1974 wrote:Show us a Pic Steve! A list of parts would be nice also :lol:
:D
Sounds like a plan! Yeah Steve, show us as we are gear whores! :lol:

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:01 am

Last edited by EccentricDyslexic on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RajBoab

Post by RajBoab » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:43 am

Was listening to an episode of the Brewing Network's - Sunday Session with jamil Zainesheff yesterday.
Jamil was talking about using an immersion chiller in conjunction with a wort pump. Basically he uses a pump to circulate the wort between the boiler tap and the top of the wort to vastly improve the chilling speed, due to the surface area that comes into contact with the immersion chiller. He said that it will chill the fluid down 100F in a minute.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:11 pm

EccentricDyslexic wrote:Well i warn ya its not pretty but it works!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33498481@N00/4331541031/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33498481@N00/4332278136/

Steve
You're right, it isn't pretty! :lol:

I can see that working as the water doen't have a smooth path to follow and as you say, causes some turbulance in the pipe. From what I can see, you do 6-7g brews? How long does it take to chill the wort to pitch temperature, roughly?
Last edited by Scotty on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:14 pm

RajBoab wrote:Was listening to an episode of the Brewing Network's - Sunday Session with jamil Zainesheff yesterday.
Jamil was talking about using an immersion chiller in conjunction with a wort pump. Basically he uses a pump to circulate the wort between the boiler tap and the top of the wort to vastly improve the chilling speed, due to the surface area that comes into contact with the immersion chiller. He said that it will chill the fluid down 100F in a minute.
Plus it would be adding air to the wort, thus helping it cool (in theory). As good a plan as it sounds, what would be the take on sterilisation of the pump pipework?

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Scotty Mc wrote:
You're right, it isn't pretty! :lol:

I can see that working as the water doen't have a smooth path to follow and as you say, causes some turbulance in the pipe. From what I can see, you do 6-7g brews? How long does it take to chill the wort to pitch temperature, roughly?
5 gallon brews, 25-26l in the fermentor i aim for. The IC displases about 1l. It takes 15-20 mins to cool to 25c. I steralise my pump and pipe work during the boil by pumping boiling wort through it and back into the boiler. When the boil is over, i turn the IC on, when the wort is below 80c i turn the pump back on to keep the wort moving rather than stiring.

Steve :)

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:50 pm

sounds like a plan :wink:

I will have the capacity to do 10g brews so I'm thinking of a similar chiller, but larger. Or maybe two of similar size to increase the surface area without the water having to travel further unlike one large chiller

EccentricDyslexic

Post by EccentricDyslexic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Nice! I'd like to upgrade to 80l stock pots for the HLT and Boiler, wish i'd done it in the first place! #-o

Oh well, i am happy with smaller brews, they match the cornie size well and it give me more practice and results in more of a selection of beers...so i'm not in a rush!

Steve