Old 10 Gal Burco Wash boiler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
jubby
Under the Table

Re: Old 10 Gal Burco Wash boiler

Post by jubby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:52 pm

I have left mine alone. I don't know what the plating on the copper is, but i assumed it was nickel or tin. These used to be perfectly acceptable, but now they are not good for us :roll: Copper is supposed to be bad as well, especially when used with liquids of an acidic nature that can dissolve the copper; like wort for instance #-o The only stuff that's supposed to be ok to use and readily available is stainless. It's the individuals choice at the end of the day.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

Paulwales

Post by Paulwales » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:09 am

I'm going to have a go to get it down to copper, least I can say for sure what poisened me, besides that the whole house is copper pipes.... plus I like shiney things....then I'll upgrade to stainless steel when I'm earning a wage agian

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:34 am

Yes, my house is all copper plumbing too, with a lead mains pipe. The pipes are coated with a film inside that forms over the years and if left undisturbed, it's supposed to be perfectly safe (especially the lead) But these pipes are not in contact with acidic liquids which can dissolve them. Anyway; as has been said before, there's plenty of older breweries still using copper kettles :wink:

One thing i forgot to mention was that after about 6 months of brewing, the boiler turns brown inside. It's a coating of beer stone (i think that's what you call it) that seems to form a protective film. I don't know weather it actually does form a protective film, but it makes me feel happier with the whole dodgy metals thing :)
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Conditioning:
FV:
Ageing:

Paulwales

Post by Paulwales » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:04 pm

cool thats decided then, I'm going copper, just needs to get a second one off my mate I'll hopefully swap for some computer bits I have spare, and that can be my HLT, then I'll covert two at the same time...will post a pics when I'm all set up

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:40 pm

The whole thing should come out, tap and nut -- leaving you (hopefully) a nice clean facing onto which you can fit a tank connector. I'm not sure what your vessel looks like (can't see the images here at work) but mine has two layers, as already mentioned -- the tap holds the two layers tightly together to form a nice seal between internal and external...

As long as you have the ability to hold the tap side still against the unscrewing of the nut you should be fine.

Paulwales wrote:On the tap subject, my tap has was broke off and relveals the nut I think you talk about. the inside of the vessel looks flush and possoble fabricated to the insie of the boiler... will it just unscrew out where its snaped off to hunt down mother size allen key...will it take off the whole tap?

Paulwales

Post by Paulwales » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:10 pm

"As long as you have the ability to hold the tap side still against the unscrewing of the nut you should be fine. "

.....I've had a problem finding a big enough Allen Key.... can I just Grind it off just behind the outlet??

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 am

"As long as you have the ability to hold the tap side still against the unscrewing of the nut you should be fine. "

.....I've had a problem finding a big enough Allen Key.... can I just Grind it off just behind the outlet??
I have a feeling the hex nut in that photo is part of the screw-in tap. Could that be the case? The tap fitting looks vaguely similar to how mine looked, if you could get a photo from the inside I can tell you more definitely whether it's the same.

Grinding it off might work but don't blame me if you f**k it up!

Paulwales

Post by Paulwales » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:03 pm

CJBrew wrote:

I have a feeling the hex nut in that photo is part of the screw-in tap. Could that be the case? The tap fitting looks vaguely similar to how mine looked, if you could get a photo from the inside I can tell you more definitely whether it's the same.

Grinding it off might work but don't blame me if you f**k it up!

I think unless I grind it off I cant get it off any other way, dont worry, I'll soon see and if it all goes wrong then it's plastic boiler with kettle elements

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:22 pm

StevenYoung wrote:Hi,

I've just been given a very similar boiler to this too, how easy would it be to update the elements to more modern ones, as I've never seen this type before!?

I've never tried an all grain brew before just kits, so should be interesting :D

Steven
The elements on mine are riveted into the bottom of the boiler from underneath with copper rivets. I would imagine it would be unlikely to find these heating elements now, so if they work ok it's best left alone. If they don't work, you could fit a Burco type element or a couple of backer kettle elements. It would mean a bit of wiring and hole cutting though.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Conditioning:
FV:
Ageing:

HomeBrewer14
Sober

Post by HomeBrewer14 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi, I got my old 10gal (square) Burco wash boiler ffrom my Grandma, 30 odd years ago, & have been using it to brew beer in ever since. Mine is an aluminium container, & it ony works on the Hi setting (fortunately). The only problem is , it doesn't have a lid, & I have come up with nothing in a search for one. Can anyone help, please?