Query about galvanised boilers

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Brotherton Lad

Query about galvanised boilers

Post by Brotherton Lad » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:45 pm

I'm posting to ask advice about my old Burco boiler which I believe is galvanised. It's a 10 gallon 375ASR type and I've used it for kits and extract brewing for the last ten years after pulling it out of a skip.
Now, my ancient CJJ Wherry book tells me that the "modified 375 Burco" is safe to use and that galvanised boilers are fine too for grain and hops, but should not be used once any acid is introduced to the recipe for fear of metal poisoning.
Clearly, I've not died yet but, as I'm about to go to AG with a much longer boil, I wondered if any of you old hands had any relevant knowledge of that tpe of boiler.
Thanks,
Roy

jubby
Under the Table

Re: Query about galvanised boilers

Post by jubby » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:04 pm

I use exactly the same boiler Roy, They work very well. You did well to pull it out of a skip =D>

The outer jacket is galvanised, but the inner is plated copper. If you turn it upside down and remove the electrics cover, you should see the copper un-plated. It's probably a good idea to look under that cover anyway, just to make sure it's clean and the insulation is ok. Mine was full of dead wildlife and the wiring insulation had gone brittle.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

Brotherton Lad

Re: Query about galvanised boilers

Post by Brotherton Lad » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. It is indeed the same beast. I had to re-wire it when I found mine, but have to say I didn't notice the plated copper aspect, so I'll look again. My wife is always a tad embarrassed about the skip monkey side of me, but I'm a Yorkshireman and don't like paying for stuff I can get for free.