New starter advice on equipment

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
groovygaz19

New starter advice on equipment

Post by groovygaz19 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi im just starting out going to try with a few kits before making my own brews hopefully.
I have no equipment or idea how to start could someone advise me please on equipment needed i ideally want to start making about 2 batches eventually.
I have had a little look around the net and couldnt find much info on what i needed really are starter kits best thing to start with or just buy your own seperate equipment?
all help greatly appreciated.
Gareth

CJBrew

Re: New starter advice on equipment

Post by CJBrew » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:51 pm

You could do a lot worse than one of these starter kits

http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/de ... EE20233480

As it says, you'll need bottles (either save some up or blag some empties from your local), and a capper and caps, or a pressure barrel. You can even use plastic bottles from the supermarket and this might be a good idea for you -- I have used cheap supermarket water 2l bottles and the 33cl ones.

groovygaz19

Post by groovygaz19 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:58 pm

I would prob use pressure barrels is this better than bottles ?

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:15 pm

I would prob use pressure barrels is this better than bottles ?
No, it's not better. It's different -- I like bottles because I find it easier to stop at one... ;)

And it's nice to be able to carry a few over to a party. But pressure barrels are less effort to clean and fill up... Take your pick. I haven't got a pressure barrel but am probably going to get a King Keg (Bottom tap) at some point. I can see myself bottling about half a batch and barrelling the rest. For example...