Corny Leakage...From Outlet Post..Help!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
nigebeer

Corny Leakage...From Outlet Post..Help!

Post by nigebeer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 am

Hi All,

I have been using my first corny keg for the first time, using one of Norm's Chrome dispenser taps and disconnecting it from the keg when not in use.

This worked great last week, however, I drew off several pints yesterday and disconnected it as usual, but when I checked this morning it has been slowly bubbling out from the outlet post,I tried more C02 pressure but that just made it leak more, I then re-connected the tap and disconnected it and it has stopped, there is still plenty of CO2 in the keg.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with post leakage? and if so what solves the problem? I want to be confident that my precious beer is safe. :(

Many Thanks

johnmac
Under the Table

Re: Corny Leakage...From Outlet Post..Help!

Post by johnmac » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:26 am

Depressurise the keg, take off the post and make sure the inside where is seals is shiny-clean. Place a small dab of vasaline or olive oil on the poppet rubber, then wipe all of it off. If that doesn't work, you probably need a new poppet.

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:52 am

I just replaced all of the poppet's on my kegs. Didn't want to take the chance. As johnmac says, have a look at the poppet seat inside the post, one of mine was pitted and had to be replaced. Personally, i would do this when the keg is empty, just make sure you don't have any leaks every time you disconnect the tap, or leave it connected.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:26 pm

One of mine sometimes weeps a bit when you first put pressure on. My solution is to take it into the garden and momentarily press in the poppet using a screwdriver. You get a quick spurt of beer (hopefully not in your face) and the poppet usually seals OK after that. One of these days I might remember to replace the poppet when the keg is empty. A stop gap solution would be to fit a spare disconnect with a short length of pipe and and close off the pipe with an end stop or plug. I have one of these ready prepared just in case I ever get a poppet I cannot seal.

nigebeer

Post by nigebeer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks a lot for the replies, I made sure that the keg was well cleaned and sanitized before filling, and had all the poppets/seals apart for inspection there was no sign of any pitting on the seating area.

The valve is okay at the moment, next time I dispense a beer I will make sure it doesn't leak, if it does I will take apart and do what you have suggested.

I will also make sure I purchase some spares, where do you all buy your corny spares from?

Many Thanks :D :D

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing: