Open Vs Closed fermentors

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Rowang

Open Vs Closed fermentors

Post by Rowang » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:51 pm

just another beginner question...

Can anyone tell me the relative benefits of open and closed fermentors? im about to do my first fullmash brew, and Im wondering which will be best? Im concerned about bacteria, but also about improper fermentation! Does anyone have any tips?

Cheers
Rowan

CJBrew

Re: Open Vs Closed fermentors

Post by CJBrew » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:17 pm

If you don't have a good reason not to, I would always recommend a closed fermenter.

However, it's often necessary to leave it open for the first couple of days particularly with bucket-type fermenters. I have once or twice had the lid rip off of the bucket by the fermentation (destroying the lid in the process). I leave the lid resting on the bucket to keep out accidentally dropped items and flies etc. until the fermentation calms down a bit.

OldSpeckledBadger
Under the Table

Post by OldSpeckledBadger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:01 pm

The critical time is between cooling the wort and the yeast establishing itself.. As long as no gunge can drop in you're fine. Since returning to brewing just under a year ago I've done 16 brews (17th is fermenting now) in a standard bucket FV with the lid just resting on top and never had a problem.
Best wishes

OldSpeckledBadger

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:09 pm

I agree with the statements above. My choice is to use an airlock. I like the guide it gives to the rate of fermentation, it assures debris is kept out and is very therapeutic to watch and listen to...................a loose lid will be fine though
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:23 pm

For primary fermentation a loose lid is fine. The yeast will create a protective layer of CO2 pretty quickly so you are just trying to keep out pet hairs and small children.
For extended primary (more than about a week) or secondary fermentation you should probably get it under airlock

beers_great

Post by beers_great » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:25 pm

I agree with almost everone, that a loose lid is fine, however I would just like to add that I have recently moved to a closed lid with air lock after spending a frustrating summer trying shoo what I think are either fruit or vineger fly's away from my open FV.

I have been brewing this way since the autumn and I dont think I would go back. It may be just my imagination but I think my beers may be a little more consistant and maybe less hazy as a result.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has found the same as Im not completely convinced :?:

kay-jay

Post by kay-jay » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:45 pm

hi all,

apparently either method is acceptable, however by fitting a closed lid there is no danger to leaving the beer in the fv for an extra few days. with the open method it is more critical to bottle as soon as it is ready!!

KJ :D