Beersmith Users - Carbonation Calculator

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
SiHoltye

Beersmith Users - Carbonation Calculator

Post by SiHoltye » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:59 am

Hi,

In Beersmith when choosing how much corn sugar to add to reach a desired level of carbonation the 'Corn Sugar' option suggests twice the amount of sugar as the 'Kegged (Corn Sugar)' option does for the same level of carbonation.

Why is this?

I've always used ½tsp in a pint bottle and scale up for corni kegs (18tsp's or 6tbsp's). I'm getting a Stainless Pin on Friday and wondering how much priming sugars to add. Guessing to go with the corni amount but noticed the different figures in BS and wondered if anyone else had too?

CJBrew

Re: Beersmith Users - Carbonation Calculator

Post by CJBrew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:40 am

I don't find those calculations very helpful. I've just always added a total of between 100 and 150g of plain table sugar (in the UK this is usually cane sugar, which is not exactly the same as corn sugar) for a 25l batch to be bottled.

The amount depends what sort of level of carbonation I'm after (smooth or fizzy). When I bottle in large (2l) plastic bottles I reduce the amount of priming sugar a bit. You don't add 1/2 tsp sugar to each bottle individually do you? :D

I think in your situation I'd go with the scaling factor BeerSmith suggests but beware that cane and corn sugars don't produce exactly the same amount of carbonation (maybe 10% different but I can't remember which way :? )