Brouwland 75 litre boiler tap question

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
RichParker

Brouwland 75 litre boiler tap question

Post by RichParker » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:30 pm

I see from this post that steve_flack at least is unimpressed with the "stock" tap that come with the Brouwland 75l electric boiler. It certainly seems flimsy to me.

I'm not in any way plumbing savvy, would the 3 part tap from BES that's mentioned be part #10398 from here? If it isn't then can anyone recommend one?

How difficult would it be to change the current "stock" tap for another, is it just a case of undoing a nut?

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Re: Brouwland 75 litre boiler tap question

Post by Andy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:13 pm

I have the 75L boiler and replaced the stock tap with one of the 1" 3-piece valves from BES (pt no 7752).

I used the fibre washer, stainless washer and 1" to 22mm iron fitting that came with the boiler*. All you need is a 1" running nipple (from BES) and the valve (as above).

* my boiler was supplied by Brupaks with the two 3kW immersion elements fitted + whatever other mods they do to the Brouwland kit.
Dan!

RichParker

Post by RichParker » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:23 pm

Andy wrote:I have the 75L boiler and replaced the stock tap with one of the 1" 3-piece valves from BES (pt no 7752).

I used the fibre washer, stainless washer and 1" to 22mm iron fitting that came with the boiler*. All you need is a 1" running nipple (from BES) and the valve (as above).

* my boiler was supplied by Brupaks with the two 3kW immersion elements fitted + whatever other mods they do to the Brouwland kit.
Yes, mine's a Brupaks one too I think.

I thought a running nipple was some kind of jogging disorder, can you give me an example BES part number?

Out of interest have you bypassed the thermostats on the immersion elements? Or did it come to a boil with them just set to max?

Thanks!

Rich

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:30 pm

From my Bes Order:-

6578 1" BSP RUNNING NIPPLE, BRASS £1.92 £0.34 £2.26
6630 1" x ½" BSP HEX REDUCING BUSH, BRASS £0.62 £0.11 £0.73

The reducing bush screws into the valve outlet and allows 1/2" tubing to be fitted, need ptfe tape on the threads of the bush to seal properly.

re: bypassing the element 'stats I just took out the thermostat from its thermowell and used a high-voltage, high-temperature electrical "block" connector to join the two loose wires together.
Dan!

RichParker

Post by RichParker » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:48 pm

Andy wrote:From my Bes Order:-

6578 1" BSP RUNNING NIPPLE, BRASS £1.92 £0.34 £2.26
6630 1" x ½" BSP HEX REDUCING BUSH, BRASS £0.62 £0.11 £0.73

The reducing bush screws into the valve outlet and allows 1/2" tubing to be fitted, need ptfe tape on the threads of the bush to seal properly.
Cheers for that!
Andy wrote:re: bypassing the element 'stats I just took out the thermostat from its thermowell and used a high-voltage, high-temperature electrical "block" connector to join the two loose wires together.
And sealed the hole with silicone?

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Didn't bother with that bit, just ensured that the hole is facing down. Belt and braces would be to add silicone and probably a good move!

Edit: I think I've mistakenly assumed you meant the hole on the element shroud (where the power cable runs). Do you actually mean the thermowell hole (which the thermostat goes) ?
If the latter then no need to seal as the thermowell "prong" is a sealed unit so no wort gets in there.
Dan!

RichParker

Post by RichParker » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:59 pm

Andy wrote:Edit: I think I've mistakenly assumed you meant the hole on the element shroud (where the power cable runs). Do you actually mean the thermowell hole (which the thermostat goes) ?
If the latter then no need to seal as the thermowell "prong" is a sealed unit so no wort gets in there.
I'm probably mistaken, I removed the thermostat and didn't check if I'd removed the thermowell as well. I'm in London right now, I'll check when I get back to GOC but I got the impression I was leaving a hole through the element base into the actual boiler.

Andy

Post by Andy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:02 pm

The thermowell is a soldered hollow copper prong fixed to the base of the element so I doubt you've removed it :) It's the sheath in which the thermostat lives, when you take the 'stat out then the prong (thermowell) stays empty.
Dan!

RichParker

Post by RichParker » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:08 pm

Andy wrote:The reducing bush screws into the valve outlet and allows 1/2" tubing to be fitted, need ptfe tape on the threads of the bush to seal properly.
I've just taken delivery of exactly the same. I'm assuming you've got it set up like this:

Outside the boiler --- Reducing bush --- Tap --- Fibre washer --- Inside the boiler -- Running nipple --- 1" to 22mm connector

Is that correct? The steel washer you referred to, is that the cheap POS pressed metal hex nut device that came with the boiler?

Thanks for your time!