Argh - forgot to put hop strainer on!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
davidmpye

Argh - forgot to put hop strainer on!

Post by davidmpye » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:00 pm

Hi guys,

Just a quick question: Half way through my first AG brew, so far so good...

BUT..

Just realised I have forgotten to put the hop strainer onto the inside of the boiler tap, which I'm guessing is going to block the tap once I start to drain the boiled wort out of the boiler. Obviously I can't put my hand in now as it's boiling vigorously, but will I be able to do that once I've cooled it? How great is the contamination risk of me putting a well washed hand (and arm) into the cool wort for a few secs to attach the hop strainer?

Cheers,

David

Jerry Cornelius

Re: Argh - forgot to put hop strainer on!

Post by Jerry Cornelius » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:04 pm

My hop strainer came loose last brew when I was running the wort off. I sprayed my arms with Star-san and re-fitted it. So far, so good, been fermenting for a week and I haven't noticed any infection. You've not got a lot of choice really, you need to get the stuff out!

pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Post by pas8280 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:09 pm

If you have a tube you could syphon it out as Jerry says you cant leave it in but a sterile syphone tube would reduce the risk of infection.or failing that dependant on the weight you could pour it out slowly through a sieve a small amount of trub will settle during fermentation.
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

harry_mac

Post by harry_mac » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:23 pm

Once it's cooled down, try the tap anyway & you might get away with it. It's what I do when I forget. The flow rate can get really slow but it gets there eventually. You can tilt the boiler when the level drops to minimise wort loss from under tap level.

e2a: Even if you only drain off some of it this way, it's less liquid to dip your arm in if you want to fit the strainer.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:22 pm

You only do that once! :lol: :wink:

When it happened to me I transferred the wort to a fermenter, fitted the hop strainer to the boiler and returned the wort. IIRC the wort hadn't got up to the boil, which was the only good thing.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

davidmpye

Post by davidmpye » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:58 pm

In the end I gave myself the best surgical scrub I could, stuck my arm in ye olde sanitising fluid as well, quick rinse then did the deed :-)

Time will tell whether I got away with it! But yeah, definitely won't do it again! I might as well just leave it on right from the start!

RichParker

Post by RichParker » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Last time that happened to me (over 10 years ago) was a lager that got christened Pilsener Oh Hell. I sterilised a large pan and bailed the wort into the FV through a (sterilised) sieve.

grmills

Post by grmills » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Probably too late now but when I forgot the filter (as suggested, you'll only do it once) I jugged the wort, hops 'n' all, into the FV until the boiler was light enough to up-end and pour the rest safely, fitted the filter then jug/poured it back before continuing the boil. No need to sterilise anything.