Plugs and wiring

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
crookedeyeboy

Plugs and wiring

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Im going to make my first boiler out of a blue barrel and was wondering about how people plug them in.

Do you stick both plugs in the same 4 way extension or do they have to go in different sockets...?

And whats all this about having to use 'proper' kettle leads not computer ones....where can I get them cheap if this is the case?

Thanks I know im being lazy but i really dont like the search facility on this forum.

Ta

delboy

Re: Plugs and wiring

Post by delboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:23 pm

Nope with two plugs in the same socket or extension, you'll pull to much current and it'll overheat pretty quicky, if at all possible try and get them into two seperate sockets.

Same thing with the cheapo power leads, they aren't built for high currents and will quickly overheat. Your on your own looking for the propers one though (i got mine from h&G along with my two element boiler).

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:25 pm

I take it when you bought it from H&G they gave you some kind of guidance as to plugging them in to separate sockets..?

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:30 pm

Focus and Homebase both stock suitable leads and there is probably also a little electrical stall on your local market. The thing to look for is the little notch at the kettle end. This is what indicates that it is a high temperature lead.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st ... ber=920731

http://www.focusdiy.co.uk/TV-and-Audio- ... nvt/218941

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:34 pm

Nice one thats great thanks...

DrewBrews

Post by DrewBrews » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Plugging them both into a four way extenstoin will, at best, result in a blown fuse (in the extension lead plug) at worst, a fire. Use two leads into different sockets.

I got my kettle leads from homebase and they weren't exactly cheap. People on here have reported success using PC leads (they will fit but don't have the notch) but you'll probably have to change the fuse and in my opinion it's not worth the risk.

It's probably also worth using an RCD on each lead. (this is an extra expense though)

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Yeah good thinking what sort of fuses should I put in all the plugs...ext included?

dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by dcq1974 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:53 pm

definately use an RCD on each element. Only £5 each on ebay etc
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

DrewBrews

Post by DrewBrews » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:57 pm

crookedeyeboy wrote:Yeah good thinking what sort of fuses should I put in all the plugs...ext included?
Standard 13 Amp fuses all round.

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks guys, nice quick to the point responses.

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Not sure if you can products by a company called Jegs where you live? I got my Jegs leads from a local shop and they were a fiver each; proper 'hot' ones too. http://www.jegs.co.uk/default.asp
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:10 pm

Your local Freecycle group should be good for a couple of kettle leads. [Kettles too, if you fancy cleaning the limescale off the elements].

I've just sourced a couple of proper leads myself, this way. One did have a 5Amp fuse in the plug though!!!!

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:23 pm

Good idea that forgot about freecycle. I can get some descaler from work which works a treat.

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:41 pm

My freecycle wanted ad went along the lines of...

"...a proper "hotplug" [C15 or C16] kettle lead, rated to over 120°C.

Not to be confused with the similar looking [C13] leads found attached to computer equipment etc, which are only rated to 70°C.

The C15 has a notch in the plug, and looks like this... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 20_C15.jpg

Should get the job done, but if not, there may be other freecycle groups in your area. I have 4 around my way!

Chard

Post by Chard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:53 pm

your one step ahead of me crooked. it may become obvious when i dismantle the kettle but it looks like most of these builds use the £5 kettles from tesco/argos/asda which are all chordless. do you hack up the base aswell to get the rest of the plug. also why not use the plug from the kettle? why do you need to get another.

all the boiler build threads i see seem to gloss over this section and me being slightly naieve in the ways of wiring i would love to see it spelt out for me if anyone can point to a good link with pics!