Aluminium stock pot for a Boiler ????

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
nobby

Aluminium stock pot for a Boiler ????

Post by nobby » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Been looking on Flebay and Aluminium stock pots are a lot cheaper than stainless steel. Is there any problem in useing them? The only problem I can see is he wall thickness of 2.8mm with fitting heating elements. But the holes should be easier to cut.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Deep-Stock-Pot-37 ... 22fc968aab

What are your views

boingy

Re: Aluminium stock pot for a Boiler ????

Post by boingy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Many of us use ali boil pots They are fine (in fact they conduct heat better than stainless). Mine has 3mm thick walls but I use it on gas so this is not a problem.

They are not as shiny though....

wmfd
Piss Artist

Post by wmfd » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:17 pm

boingy wrote:Many of us use ali boil pots They are fine (in fact they conduct heat better than stainless). Mine has 3mm thick walls but I use it on gas so this is not a problem.
Yes, I think Deebee has just converted one (thread should be on here somewhere recent).
My mango chutney barrel wrapped in tin foil = 8)

David
Planning: Election interference Russian Imperial Cocoa Stout and something for Christmas
Fermenting: Nothing beery (there is a kombucha going though)
Conditioning: Nothing
Bottled (Drinking): 1936 Mackesons, Weissbeer, Summer Lightning

My supplies from http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk

nobby

Post by nobby » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:13 pm

boingy wrote:.

Have you never heard of Solvo Autosol then :D

Yes would like to hear of someone using on with electric

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:06 am

Using my ally pot on Gas too, though I do have a Pig-tail style element that just requires two small holes drilling to fit it... maybe a Future project. :)

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:44 am

I used a 33l alu pot on the gas hob for years. It was nearly full at times making a boil slightly problematic, and there was no drain/spigot which meant baling the wort through a hop filter into the fermenter.

Did the job well enough though.

theratroom

Post by theratroom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:52 pm

If aluminium pots are ok to use and cheaper than stainless steal why doesn't everyone use them I am puzzled

beermonsta

Post by beermonsta » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:36 pm

there is a thread of thought that it could be toxic...
not that i'd be too worried, how many times have you drunk a fizzy drink from an aluminium can?!

research....

"Health concerns
Despite its natural abundance, aluminium has no known function in living cells and presents some toxic effects in elevated concentrations. Its toxicity can be traced to deposition in bone and the central nervous system, which is particularly increased in patients with reduced renal function. Because aluminium competes with calcium for absorption, increased amounts of dietary aluminium may contribute to the reduced skeletal mineralization (osteopenia) observed in preterm infants and infants with growth retardation. In very high doses, aluminium can cause neurotoxicity, and is associated with altered function of the blood-brain barrier.[61] A small percentage of people are allergic to aluminium and experience contact dermatitis, digestive disorders, vomiting or other symptoms upon contact or ingestion of products containing aluminium, such as deodorants or antacids. In those without allergies, aluminium is not as toxic as heavy metals, but there is evidence of some toxicity if it is consumed in excessive amounts.[62] Although the use of aluminium cookware has not been shown to lead to aluminium toxicity in general, excessive consumption of antacids containing aluminium compounds and excessive use of aluminium-containing antiperspirants provide more significant exposure levels. Studies have shown that consumption of acidic foods or liquids with aluminium significantly increases aluminium absorption,[63] and maltol has been shown to increase the accumulation of aluminium in nervous and osseus tissue.[64] Furthermore, aluminium increases estrogen-related gene expression in human breast cancer cells cultured in the laboratory.[65] The estrogen-like effects of these salts have led to their classification as a metalloestrogen.

Because of its potentially toxic effects, aluminium's use in some antiperspirants, dyes (such as aluminium lake), and food additives is controversial. Although there is little evidence that normal exposure to aluminium presents a risk to healthy adults,[66] several studies point to risks associated with increased exposure to the metal.[67] Aluminium in food may be absorbed more than aluminium from water.[68] Some researchers have expressed concerns that the aluminium in antiperspirants may increase the risk of breast cancer,[69] and aluminium has controversially been implicated as a factor in Alzheimer's disease.[70] The Camelford water pollution incident involved a number of people consuming aluminium sulfate. Investigations of the long-term health effects are still ongoing, but elevated brain aluminium concentrations have been found in post-mortem examinations of victims who have later died, and further research to determine if there is a link with cerebral amyloid angiopathy has been commissioned.[71]

According to The Alzheimer's Society, the overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that studies have not convincingly demonstrated a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease.[72] Nevertheless, some studies, such as those on the PAQUID cohort,[73] cite aluminium exposure as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease. Some brain plaques have been found to contain increased levels of the metal.[74] Research in this area has been inconclusive; aluminium accumulation may be a consequence of the disease rather than a causal agent. In any event, if there is any toxicity of aluminium, it must be via a very specific mechanism, since total human exposure to the element in the form of naturally occurring clay in soil and dust is enormously large over a lifetime.[75][76] Scientific consensus does not yet exist about whether aluminium exposure could directly increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease.[72]
" lifted from wiki's aluminium entry

theratroom

Post by theratroom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Thanks for that. It just goes to show you that everything is out to kill us . I am not too concerned about it though as I have been a chef for eighteen years cooking in aluminium pans foods that are way more acidic than wort and have not been sued yet by anyone who has died or gone mad.

vanish

Post by vanish » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:53 pm

i've got a 65L ally stock pot which I've recently converted. No problems yet and I cant see there being any.
And yes you're right, much easier to work with.
But as Pdtnc says stainless has got the shiney factor.
So it depends on how much you wanna show off.

theratroom

Post by theratroom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:36 pm

I am going to get myself one then. I can get a fifty six liter one for forty eight quid as I can put of through the company ad miss paying the tax happy days :D :D might as well according to the government. The two pints I drink a night will kill me before the aluminium anyway.

CJBrew

Post by CJBrew » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:05 am

theratroom wrote:The two pints I drink a night will kill me before the aluminium anyway.
Quite.

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:31 am

I've done loads of brews in my aluminium boil pan and I'm fine. My friends call me moon unit. Do the voices in my head disturb you? :=P

Stainless is shinier and is the standard material for most commercial food and drink production equipment so it's an obvious choice for DIY brewing gear but if aluminium was unsafe then it would not be allowed in pro kitchens. Both materials are fine for brewing imho.
You pays yer money and you makes yer choice.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:37 am

My Ally stock pot is on its 46th brew (39 AG), I do notice where the copper Hop Stopper sits on the bottom the ally is pock-marked... Maybe an over-heating thing or a reaction against copper? I know for a fact that St.Steel & Ally should be separated by something but I have no idea about copper & Ally.
;)

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:06 am

Hi pdtnc

If you have aluminium and copper in a liquid environment that allows a current to flow (electrolyte) then you are in effect making a battery which is likely to generate a small current with one of the metal surfaces slowly dissolving.

See Aluminium/Copper/Lemon Battery

Current likely to be much less in wort than in a lemon due to its reduced acidity, however, wort being acid will allow the battery action to occur. I reckon that's the cause of the pitting.

From memory I think aluminium is likely to be more reactive that SS due to the greater electric potential of aluminium.

ATB
John