Kegging / S30 valve

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Kegging / S30 valve

Post by Garth » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:26 pm

Some help please keg experts.

I'm about to fill 12 bottles with my oatmeal stout and keg the rest. Should I still prime as normal (5ml of glucose per litre)?

I have a new budget barrel, a standard cap with a blow off safety valve, and a cap with an S30 valve on it, does the S30 valve also act as a safety valve when there is no cylinder attatched and if so, what pressure does it release at?

Once in the keg, the brew is being matured for a few weeks then handpumped out, with me nice shiny reconditioned Angram, can I get away with not using a cask breather by releasing the cap when I'm pulling a pint then closing the cap and giving it a squirt of CO2 from my cylinder? Will this purge the O2 out, protecting the brew and keeping it un-oxidised?, or am I going to have to become even more of an alcoholic and down the lot in a week.

Been bottling far too long and haven't a clue about kegs, sorry

tubby_shaw

Post by tubby_shaw » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:36 pm

If the S30 valve has a rubber band around the outside then yes it incorporates a pressure relief :)
It should release at between 10 and 15 psi as the kegs are rated at 10 psi.
I normally prime 40 pints with 50g of glucose.
As for the rest of your questions one of the beer engine experts will know :wink:

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:45 pm

great stuff, thanks tubby and Daab for your swift replies, off now to do just that, Cheers lads