HLT Controller?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
garwatts

HLT Controller?

Post by garwatts » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:35 am

Wish I'd found this a couple of weeks ago.....
http://www.undercontrol.co.uk/page20.html
8820 Digital Controller
They can be used to control either heating or cooling and integrate a robust 20A main relay which removes the need for purchasing a separate relay.

Dear Garry,

8820 Digital Thermostat 33x75, single display, ON/OFF control, 220VAC power supply, NTC input options, 2 NTC probes, 2 relay output, 1 alarm output. £23.00 each

Delivery Stock

Regards

RichParker

Re: HLT Controller?

Post by RichParker » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:23 pm

Cheap, out of interest what else would I need to buy/build to use one of these to hold 2 HLTs at different temps?

I'm a bit of a DIY ignoramus :(

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Watch out for the specifications, Compressor rating is 20A, defrost (heating) is 8A.
Compressor rating often allows for a large start-up surge, the 8A is given as resistive load, e.g. heating element.

You might prefer:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Digital-Temp ... 414eb06d59

The supplied probe is unlikely to be much good for a HLT. If you are using 1800-2000W elements you should be ok without an external relay (10A contacts).

In all honesty RichParker, if you have not got the electrics experience, you should find someone who has in order to avoid sudden death syndrome... :cry:

That said, you would need two controllers, two probes which will withstand constant immersion, a safe, metal, earthed enclosure for the controllers and cable and connectors for both mains and probes.

RichParker

Post by RichParker » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:08 pm

befuggled wrote:In all honesty RichParker, if you have not got the electrics experience, you should find someone who has in order to avoid sudden death syndrome... :cry:
Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about. I like my heart to beat in a regular fashion ;)

Thanks

Befuddler
Even further under the Table

Post by Befuddler » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:50 pm

Contrary to popular belief, high voltage electric shocks are awesome. I plugged myself into the mains once while building a guitar amp. It felt quite nice.. made my nuts tingle.

Disclaimer: I am an idiot and listening to me is liable to cause death and other serious injuries.
"There are no strong beers, only weak men"

garwatts

Post by garwatts » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Yes I experienced 10Kv running up my arm from a radar once. Gave me quite a buzz :shock: :shock:

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:43 pm

befuggled wrote:Watch out for the specifications, Compressor rating is 20A, defrost (heating) is 8A.
Compressor rating often allows for a large start-up surge, the 8A is given as resistive load, e.g. heating element.

You might prefer:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Digital-Temp ... 414eb06d59

The supplied probe is unlikely to be much good for a HLT. If you are using 1800-2000W elements you should be ok without an external relay (10A contacts).

In all honesty RichParker, if you have not got the electrics experience, you should find someone who has in order to avoid sudden death syndrome... :cry:

That said, you would need two controllers, two probes which will withstand constant immersion, a safe, metal, earthed enclosure for the controllers and cable and connectors for both mains and probes.
I used this with my HLT once and had no issues. However, got worried as I was advised to use a relay. I use 2400w Tesco elements.

boingy

Post by boingy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:01 pm

Befuddler wrote:Contrary to popular belief, high voltage electric shocks are awesome. I plugged myself into the mains once while building a guitar amp. It felt quite nice.. made my nuts tingle.

Disclaimer: I am an idiot and listening to me is liable to cause death and other serious injuries.
I got two shocks in one rather memorable day during some student holiday work. The first was from a welder and threw the breakers before I could get the full experience. The second was from a percussion drill. On that occasion I leaped backwards, the drill cord yanked the drill out of my hand and the drill landed in a large vat of electroplating solution, still plugged in. My boss, who was right next to me, said "that's the drill f**ked then".

jason123

Post by jason123 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:43 pm

I used to be the proud and stupid owner of a 125kv stun gun. Played many a drunken game of pass the stun gun and see how long you can stand it for.

Then the Mrs chucked it out whilst I was away and unable to stop her. :evil: :cry:

Women are such killjoys when it comes to drunken games. :(