2L PET Bottles and Caps

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
metalmushroom

2L PET Bottles and Caps

Post by metalmushroom » Mon May 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi

I have read many of the posts on PET/plastic bottles... and was looking for some further information on two specific points:

1) Is there a difference between normal supermarket carbonated water 2L PET bottles, and the still water 2L PET bottles? A lot of the posts mention using the carbonated water bottles... is this because they are built stronger/have better seals to withstand the higher pressures, or are they basicallly the same as the still water bottles? I would like to use the still water bottles, as I want to use the water for my next brew.

Is there also any particular brand of supermarket water that is preferable?

2) Can you use the caps that come with the supermarket water bottles to bottle your beer with, or do you need to replace them with new caps straight away? At this point I dont intend on reusing the bottles multiple times, as I will be using new ones each brew, due to me wanting to use the water as well.

Many thanks, and happy brewing
Sheldon

Brotherton Lad

Re: 2L PET Bottles and Caps

Post by Brotherton Lad » Mon May 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Still water bottles and caps are not designed to take much pressure, you're running a big risk of losing alot of beer or drinking it flat.

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Mon May 03, 2010 6:25 pm

Somewhere on the forum is a thread all about PET bottles. I think I read that a few brands use the same bottles for sparkling and still water and they were the cheapies from Tesco (or something like that). Nevr done this but would a quick boil knock the fizz out of them if you used the sparkling water? Just a tought. :?
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Mon May 03, 2010 10:44 pm

If you are buying the smartprice/value/etc. still water in 2L PETs, the ones which look exactly like carbonated water/pop bottles, you can use them for beer as they are the same bottles. Avoid all bottles which are square based and/or have ribs in the side for strength.

I tend to replace caps (or bottles in fact) after half a dozen uses or so, if you reuse them too many times you start to find the odd one which doesn't seal.

Jolum
Hollow Legs

Post by Jolum » Wed May 05, 2010 3:24 pm

I'm curious, do you carbonate in these PET bottles or use one of Norms Carbonator tops with flat ale? If the former, do you just prime as usual?
"Everybody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink." - W.C. Fields

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed May 05, 2010 3:41 pm

If the still water bottle looks like the sparkling bottle of the same brand then it will take the pressure just fine. Still water in square bottles will NOT take pressure.

metalmushroom

Post by metalmushroom » Wed May 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback... much appreciated and very helpful :)

I think I will give the still bottles that look like the carbonated bottles a go... I would buy new proper bottles from the brew shops, but they are quite expensive, and often only come in 1Litre... does anybody know of a cheap supplier of decent bottles... been looking for one, but cant seem to find any?

That CORNELIUS AUTO CARBONATOR looks very interesting... thanks for that, would like to investigate it sometime :) Currently I am priming as usual with sugar in the bottle.

Jolum
Hollow Legs

Post by Jolum » Thu May 06, 2010 8:19 am

metalmushroom wrote:Thanks for the feedback... much appreciated and very helpful :)

I think I will give the still bottles that look like the carbonated bottles a go... I would buy new proper bottles from the brew shops, but they are quite expensive, and often only come in 1Litre... does anybody know of a cheap supplier of decent bottles... been looking for one, but cant seem to find any?

That CORNELIUS AUTO CARBONATOR looks very interesting... thanks for that, would like to investigate it sometime :) Currently I am priming as usual with sugar in the bottle.
No worries. The reason I'm looking into it, is that for ages I've been 'AB' All Barrel :) I just can't be arsed washing\sterilising 40-odd bottles but the problem comes when you want to give some beer away to family, friends etc. Giving them a corny and bottle of gas is a bit cumbersome :lol:
"Everybody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink." - W.C. Fields