Using Q-Max cutters on plastic

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jolum
Hollow Legs

Using Q-Max cutters on plastic

Post by Jolum » Wed May 12, 2010 9:11 am

Hi all, quick question. Has anyone used a Q-Max cutter on a plastic bucket? I ask as I've got to cut a couple of holes in one that's destined to be a HLT but thought I'd save on buying a hole saw as I already have the correct size cutter. ...tight, I know :oops:
"Everybody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink." - W.C. Fields

borischarlton
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Using Q-Max cutters on plastic

Post by borischarlton » Wed May 12, 2010 9:15 am

I have not used one on platic. I would drill a small hole with a normal drill then open it up with a rat tail file to just the right size. You can then screw the tap into the hole making a really tight fit.

Rob

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed May 12, 2010 9:18 am

They work really well on plastic. Go for it.

brewzone

Post by brewzone » Wed May 12, 2010 9:20 am

Hi a q-max cutter works perfectly.

You will need a 21mm cutter for a 1/2" bsp fitting.

A 10mm pilot hole is required.

Jolum
Hollow Legs

Post by Jolum » Wed May 12, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to be sure that it wouldn't crack the plastic - bit too overcautious sometimes :oops:

Will give it a go tonight.
"Everybody has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink." - W.C. Fields

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 am

An alternative 'cutterless' method I've seen used on cold water tanks is to heat up a bit of copper tube and just push it through the plastic - though whilst thats cheap for plumbers its probably only going to be helpful to you if you happen to have a bit of tube already lying around, and some way to get it very hot.

It smells a bit, but apparently it doesn't stress the plastic as much or leave any ragged edges (that could encourage cracks to start) - though i don't think thats especially likely to happen anyway. From memory a 22mm pipe is 'about' right for a 15mm tank connector and 28mm pipe for a 22mm tank connector - but please don't rely on my memory!

Cheers
kev
Kev

mentaldental

Post by mentaldental » Wed May 12, 2010 11:14 am

I have found conical step cutter to be excellent on plastic. Quick, adaptable, and they leave a very clean hole.

This sort of thing: http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=30240

Blackaddler
Under the Table

Post by Blackaddler » Wed May 12, 2010 11:36 am

Jolum wrote:Hi all, quick question. Has anyone used a Q-Max cutter on a plastic bucket? I ask as I've got to cut a couple of holes in one that's destined to be a HLT but thought I'd save on buying a hole saw as I already have the correct size cutter. ...tight, I know :oops:
Last week, I cut a couple of holes in a 3mm thick plastic drum with a Q-Max. The holes were perfect.

WishboneBrewery
CBA Prizewinner 2010

Post by WishboneBrewery » Wed May 12, 2010 8:04 pm

The holes I've cut for Kettle Elements and Tank connectors through Blue Mango Chutney barrels have been perfect :)

Jolum
Hollow Legs

Post by Jolum » Thu May 13, 2010 8:23 am

Job done. I now have a big plastic 60 Ltr HLT with 2 Asda kettle elements (that don't actually leak, unlike when I tried them on one of my NO SS pots)...luvly jubbly :D