Corny Post sizes

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Shoit

Corny Post sizes

Post by Shoit » Wed May 19, 2010 10:04 pm

I purchased 2 reconditions cornelius kegs that are both Challenger VI kegs. I had problems with one of the posts sealing on a keg and found the keg I was using has a plastic dip tube and the other has a stainless steel dip tube - the two are not interchangable. Also one of the poppets was not sealing under pressure so I had to swap the gas in post from the second keg I purchased onto the keg I had the beer in. However, it appears that the post that I removed from the first keg (with the beer in) will also not fit onto the second keg it only screws part way down and does not meet with the rubber.

Do some kegs have different size screw threads for the posts to site onto or am I doing something wrong? I'm confused as to how the post from the second keg has screwed onto the first keg but yet it the same doesn't work the other way. Both are gas in posts.

Kevin

Shoit

Re: Corny Post sizes

Post by Shoit » Wed May 19, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks Chris,

I haven't actually swapped over the poppets - I've swapped one gas post from the spare keg onto the first keg, but as I say - although the post from the second keg fits on the first keg, it doesn't work the other way around. Any thoughts anyone?

The poppets both seem to have short legs which clip into a groove - i'm baffled! If I wanted to purchase replacement posts and poppets - how would I know which thread types I was buying?

Another quick question, when I swapped the posts over the beer was already in the keg and there was a bit of messing around getting things sorted, everything was soaked in starsan before putting onto the keg - is there a risk of infection or should it be ok?

Kevin

Shoit

Post by Shoit » Thu May 20, 2010 7:28 am

Are there any retailers that sell both?

Shoit

Post by Shoit » Thu May 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Apologies, I wasn't very clear there! I mean retailers that sell both posts types with the different thread sizes.

Thanks

Kevin

Shoit

Post by Shoit » Thu May 20, 2010 9:57 pm

This may be a stupid question, but how do I tell which posts have which thread sizes?

Kev

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Fri May 21, 2010 8:13 am

Talk to Stefan at Candirect and he will be able to help you . . . Trying to decide between NC kegs and NC Jolly can be interesting . . . I Have cornies from 4 different manufacturers . . .and it confuses the blazes out of me

boingy

Post by boingy » Fri May 21, 2010 9:09 am

I learned quite early on not to try to swap poppets, posts or lids between my cornies. The poppets are the annoying ones. They look like they fit perfectly but won't seal. I have 5 cornies and I think there are three different designs amongst them. Only one has any form of useful info stamped on it, the others all just say stuff like "Britvic" which is not amazingly helpful when you are trying to get spares.