Cornies without PRVs

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Hawkinspm

Cornies without PRVs

Post by Hawkinspm » Tue May 25, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi

recently got 2 more cornies and these have no PRVs, they just have the burst mark which I believe is designed to blow before the kegs do. As I am not playing with anywhere near max pressures this is no problem I don't think.

However purging them and controlling pressures is going to be more of a pain, and will I be able to purge of oxygen as the in tube sits down an inch or so whereas the PRVs are in the lid usually. Anyone have any like this and has some advice? I had wondered about shortening the gas in tube and also about buying a new lid.

Thanks
Paul

boingy

Re: Cornies without PRVs

Post by boingy » Tue May 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Just purge with the gas-in poppet. The small amount of air above that is not really a problem. The only thng to remember is not to fill the keg above the level of the gas-in tube...

Hawkinspm

Post by Hawkinspm » Tue May 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Cheers Boingy, was hoping for that sort of answer..

They came from Norm and since I posted he has offered to post me two plastic ones with PRVs if I return them. I am now of course in 2 minds - for some reason I don't like the sound of plastic ones, but guess they must be pretty strong plastic. Or I live with these and all should be fine. Hmmmm :?

Parva

Post by Parva » Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Around half of my cornie collection has no PRV's and I've never had any problems with them. As stated, just make sure you don't fill beyond the short diptube so that you can purge from the in post. Getting a face full of beer gives you a reminder why you shouldn't, don't ask me how I know. :)

Hawkinspm

Post by Hawkinspm » Wed May 26, 2010 8:38 am

Thanks Parva, 2 people doing this and having no problems is enough to convince me not to bother... I'll put them straight into action and just purge via the gas in tube. :D