Hot Water Cylinder HLT - pics

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Hot Water Cylinder HLT - pics

Post by Kev888 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:09 pm

haggis51 wrote:Found this thread, if that's what it's called, but unable to see any images. Help please.
Unfortunately all my older images got detached from their threads, due to parting company with my internet host of the time. However, some of the HLT pictures are now on flickr here.

This HLT was used up until relatively recently and was always pretty successful IMO. If lucky enough to get a cylinder at a good price then it can be a bargain for a heavily insulated metal tank. Stainless pots have become much more available and affordable than they were back then, and are arguably nicer, but even now would be much more expensive - especially were you to insulate them to a similar standard.

The only down-side of copper (in this role) was that mine was stored in a damp garage so needed a haze of verdigris wiping off with a kitchen towel before each use. But I much preferred it over using HDPE, particularly as the element was set to switch on unattended (early in the morning), by timer.
Last edited by Kev888 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Post by Fastline » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Never seen this before, excellent use of a hot water cylinder, I wonder if the coil could be used on a herms system

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:49 pm

Perhaps the coil could be used for herms, and some people do use the HLT for that too so it would be convenient. Especially if they use manual or simple thermostatic temperature control, the large water volume can aid stability, albeit at the cost of responsiveness. Though.. it is a pretty big/fat coil and would need a lot of wort to fill it, I'm not sure if there would be enough free wort in a normal mash ratio.
Kev