Heat Exchanger

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Brauntonbeer

Heat Exchanger

Post by Brauntonbeer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Possibly looking at getting a heat exchanger for cooling

is one these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-grade-steel- ... 2a03beaaa7

Essentially the same as one of these?

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/index.php ... re=default

I know without exact details it may be difficult to tell, but any nuggets of advice would be sweet

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Heat Exchanger

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:17 pm

I imagine they would both work in the same way, but the cheaper one is probably not made of Stainless. I just priced one for my central heating boiler....£140!
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:53 pm

It does say stainless in the description, but I'm not sure I would buy one for cooling wort that didn't come to bits.

trucker5774
Falling off the Barstool

Post by trucker5774 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:14 pm

sparky Paul wrote:It does say stainless in the description, but I'm not sure I would buy one for cooling wort that didn't come to bits.
Paul, you're right, mate. I must have blanked that when I read the title which said high grade steel :oops: I am sticking with the immersion coil chiller for the cleaning reason. Although the job I have just done on my boiler involved flushing the heat exchanger, which was quite easy to clean (as a one off). It's amazing just how small an amount of crap will severely reduce it's performance. I would want a good filter before my wort entered one. ....................Coil for me!
John

Drinking/Already drunk........ Trucker's Anti-Freeze (Turbo Cider), Truckers Delight, Night Trucker, Rose wine, Truckers Hitch, Truckers Revenge, Trucker's Lay-by, Trucker's Trailer, Flower Truck, Trucker's Gearshift, Trucker's Horn, Truck Crash, Fixby Gold!

Conditioning... Doing what? Get it down your neck! ........

FV 1............
FV 2............
FV 3............
Next Brews..... Trucker's Jack Knife

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:33 am

WOW at that price Ill buy two! These are nearly £100 everywhere else!

Brauntonbeer

Post by Brauntonbeer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:55 am

I've asked the seller if they disassemble - i'm awating a response, will update when i have the answer. I can't check now cause the it geeks at work have blocked ebay, they haven't yet cottoned onto this forum :)

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Haha mines the other way round, I cant get pictures on Jims but have full access to eBay due to us having a works account on there!

I dont think the HE will come apart but that doesnt bother me, I can my hands on some good chemicals at work to soak it in and clean it.

I cant believe how cheap they are.

dcq1974
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by dcq1974 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:52 pm

Will watch this thread with interest as I would love to speed up my cooling times!

Crooked Eye Boy - what would you use to clean - NaOH?
DCQ Ph.D

author in

Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages: Technical, Analytical and Nutritional Aspects, 2 Volume Set, 1204 pages, edited by Alan J Buglass

**OUT NOW**

To find out more and buy online, go to
http://as.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle ... ption.html

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:21 pm

I use alot of our own cleaner steriliser which was formulated for use with soft metals etc, however it is very powerful and shifts anything proteinous. I would probably run a solution of that through it, then back flush and maybe even sit it in a bucket of cleaner steriliser until the next time I used it. I do the same thing with my corny and ss pin, certainly does the trick.
If youve got access to NaOH you could use that just as good, the best bit about caustic is you can get it as hot as you want without driving off anything unwanted IE Chlorine etc.
Think Im definately going to buy one at this price.

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:56 pm

I bought a 50 plate version off these guys this week. It turned up very quickly and exactly as described.

They don't disassemble BTW.

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Thats great Steve, I was wondering about the backflush idea. Is it possible to just swap the connections around? I noticed the one on H&G had a specific pipe for backflushing, more unnessesary equipment?

Also what connectors would I need I notice on one side they are smaller than the other side.

Ta

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:26 pm

Another quick one Steve. Do you think the 10 plate one would be sufficient?

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Pass, I don't know. I just got one with lots of plates as I thought that'd be better! They do a range of sizes and power ratings. Look at the combined pricing with postage. Some of the bigger chillers aren't that mmuch more expensive when it's all added in,

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/SK-Trade-LTD-T ... ec0Q2em322

The fittings are 1/2" and 3/4" BSPP male. I think normal hose connectors are 3/4" There's all sorts of odds and sods you can get from BES that would fit it to make up hose barbs etc. I ended up putting camlocks on mine so all the fittings are the same. So I can flush anyway I want.

I think Aleman has a similar one (as well as a few other on here).

crookedeyeboy

Post by crookedeyeboy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Thanks for that Steve, I am tempted by the one you got as the postage is free!

Have you got a link to BES?

What is this power rating business? I dont get it, although Im not very up on things men should be up on when it comes to DIY etc :-(

steve_flack

Post by steve_flack » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:05 pm

BES http://www.bes.co.uk - incredibly comprehensive site with good prices. Sadly it's also a pain in the arse to use and the search function is crap. You need to know what it is you're looking for. 'Stainless fittings' is a good starting point.

I don't get the power rating either. Presumably it's a measure of chilling ability. I presume more is better. Do you want to see a photo of my chiller to get an idea of size? It's pretty darn small.

BTW, I got my camlocks from intrico not BES - but I got the connecting bits from BES