Is this what I'm after?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
The Cardinal

Is this what I'm after?

Post by The Cardinal » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:44 pm

I want to buy a bargin barrel that I can top up with CO2. I found this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-GALLON-BREWING- ... dZViewItem

On eBay, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm after. It has no CO2 valve or anything, just a normal screw top. Could I buy a standard CO2 inlet (I think they're called S30s? Is that right?) to fit it, and if so do I have to cut the lid to fit it, and how much would that and a CO2 cannister be?

Basically - is this the sort of barrel I'm after, or would it be too much hassle and cost to 'convert'?

Any advice welcomed

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:51 pm

That's the right *type* of barrel, yes, but if it goes up in price much more it won't be worth it. You can pick one up at your local Wilkinsons for about 15 quid. This one's just got a pressure relief valve, rather than an injector.

PieOPah

Post by PieOPah » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:04 pm

You can buy 2" caps that include a S30 injection valve. These cost around £8. If you are ordering online then you would need to add P&P.

A brand new keg (with injection valve) will cost you around £22 plus P&P. Obviously you could shop around to find a better price or you may even have somewhere local that you could collect from.

The Cardinal

Post by The Cardinal » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:29 pm

Perhaps I'' be best off buying new one if they're that cheap then I can be sure the seals are intact as well. Thanks for the advice. :lol: