Ten Quid Hopback

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
gdanby

Ten Quid Hopback

Post by gdanby » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:53 pm

One of my favourite recipes is an American style pale ale - pretty similar to Dark Star APA. In order to get the strong hop character, I cool the wort down to 80C after boiling and steep the hops for 15 minutes. I've been trying to make my brew day more efficient, so I've been looking at using a hop back instead of steeping the hops. Not wanting to spend much money in case it doesn't work out, I've made an experimental hopback :

Its made from a 1.8l Lock&Lock water tight food container. The hot wort enters through the tank connector at the top and exits through the copper filter at the bottom. My original plan was to pump the wort out of the boiler, into the hopback and then through the CFC as follows:

However, when testing it, I found that the pressure built up inside the container so much that it broke the seal to the lid and liquid started leaking. The better way was to put the pump after the hopback, so that it pumped the infused wort out and through the CFC, relying on gravity to fill the hopback from the boiler.

I used it yesterday for the first time with my APA and in general it went ok, though it took a lot longer than I was hoping for, since the flow from the boiler slowed down a lot towards the end. When I taste the beer in a couple of weeks, I'll know whether to scrap it as a bad idea or improve the design. The next step will be to find a container that can handle the pressure of having the pump placed before the hopback, but not be too expensive...

NewPeculier

Re: Ten Quid Hopback

Post by NewPeculier » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:22 pm

Try and pick up an old pressure cooker from a car boot sale - fit your connections to that, replace the seal on it if it's dodgy and it should work.

Wolfy

Post by Wolfy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:24 pm

How does the plastic go with the boiling wort?

I've been planning to do much the same as you have done, but with a glass jar instead of a plastic container.

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:34 pm

NewPeculier wrote:Try and pick up an old pressure cooker from a car boot sale - fit your connections to that, replace the seal on it if it's dodgy and it should work.
Good idea =D> but if it's as old ours (still in use) you will need to seal the hole in the top where the weight fits which lets out the pressure when used for cooking.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:51 pm

It's probably better if it goes slowly to get maximum contact, otherwise it could channel.

gdanby

Post by gdanby » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:45 pm

Wolfy wrote:How does the plastic go with the boiling wort?

I've been planning to do much the same as you have done, but with a glass jar instead of a plastic container.
The plastic holds up really well - it is sold as microwave proof, though I was only running hot wort through it for about 10 minutes.

smeggedup
Hollow Legs

Post by smeggedup » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:00 pm

hows the hop back doing ?
are you still using it?
Drink till she's cute, but stop before the wedding

If i can't brew it i dont drink it

keeper of yeast

hate work on beer nights

rossi74

Post by rossi74 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:09 pm

tourer wrote:
NewPeculier wrote:Try and pick up an old pressure cooker from a car boot sale - fit your connections to that, replace the seal on it if it's dodgy and it should work.
Good idea =D> but if it's as old ours (still in use) you will need to seal the hole in the top where the weight fits which lets out the pressure when used for cooking.
Could you not use the hole as the inlet?

gdanby

Post by gdanby » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:06 pm

I've used it about a dozen times over the last year and it's done the job well. The only problem is that it does get a little soft when warm and doesn't stand up to much pressure, so will leak a little if you don't get the flow right!

Funny that this thread was bumped up again as I've just bought a whole house water filter off ebay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... OC:GB:3160

I was tempted with the Hop Rocket, but couldn't afford it so thought I'd try this out as recommended by a clever fella on another thread. Just need to plumb it in and I'll let you know how it stands up.

I'm completely sold on the idea of a hop back though, I'm really happy with all the IPA/APA styles that I've produced. About 40-50g of hops for a 5 gallon batch gives a really strong hop aroma that lasts for months.

darkonnis

Post by darkonnis » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:44 am

failing this, oily bits have one made of pp which might be better. Just incase it melts/gives in etc, might be worth a thought is all

floydmeddler
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by floydmeddler » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:29 am

Nice work sir!

akka lakka

Post by akka lakka » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:20 am

hi,i am going to make a hopback,now i can see from your pics how to do it,i am going to get water filter housing from gdanby post,thanks chaps.cheers :)

smeggedup
Hollow Legs

Post by smeggedup » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:40 pm

darkonnis wrote:failing this, oily bits have one made of pp which might be better. Just incase it melts/gives in etc, might be worth a thought is all

you got a link for that ?

keeper of yeast

hate work on beer nights

smeggedup
Hollow Legs

Post by smeggedup » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:09 am

keeper of yeast