Co2 supply/refill Aberdeen Dundee area

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
youaintseenmeright

Post by youaintseenmeright » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:46 pm

Hi and thanks for looking

Any one know any where I can get a co2 bottle filled in ne Scotland I am using s30 gas bottle with king kegs costs about 20 quid to get them refilled due to the postage costs. I am thinking of going for a couple of Cornies but the cost of refilling the s30 cylinder is prohibitive I have googled but to no avail any help much appreciated

Regards

R1ch

Re: Co2 supply/refill Aberdeen Dundee area

Post by R1ch » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:51 am

I rang round the usual suspects (air products, £40 a go, £110 rental a year. Air liquide, Cheap but wasn't geared up for a single bottle, never returned calls) Lots of welding type shops, fire extinguisher refill for £20 per 2kg bottle. Ended up at BOC Bridge of Don, £21 a bottle (sb size), 6.5KG £3 month rental. The rate I'd being going through sodastream bottles at £5 a time, I reckon this will end up being 1/4 of the cost over a year.

youaintseenmeright

Post by youaintseenmeright » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks for the reply that is a boost there is a BOC dealer in Montrose. 20 mins from my house and at that price it is a deal
Has anyone ever hooked up a gas bottle to a king keg ? I realise the regulated pressure would have to be quite low but ideal for low carb brews such as 80 shilling if you can hook up a cylinder to a king keg what type of fitting can be used to inject the gas?

Regards

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi youaintseenmeright,

How did you get on finding a c02 supplier.
I live in Dundee and work in Aberdeen, Curently use 8g with a s30 adaptor, but would like to go to something more efficent.

Highlander

eddy31384

Post by eddy31384 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:56 pm

look out side the box people!!!

i get mine from the local hydrophonic shop but also look at fish shops pet shops as some people like co2 flowing through coral and such

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:30 pm

The fish shop was going to be my next stop.

youaintseenmeright

Post by youaintseenmeright » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:04 pm

I never thought about there is a hydroponics shop in arbroath as well i will give them a visit when i get home from offshore and will let you know i still have not looked into this any deeper yet as i still have some of my s30 left as i ended buying some more off of ebay that i have not even started yet. to be honest i would like to trade in the KK's for cornies as i find you dont really get much in the way of fizz with them and bottles are a pain this is ok with most ales but i would like to try my hand at lager

eddy31384

Post by eddy31384 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:49 pm

cornys are top for larger I've got 3 ;) even if the hydro shop does not do them they may know someone who has a local supply

eddy31384

Post by eddy31384 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:15 pm

http://www.yell.com/s/welding+equipment-aberdeen.html

infact any of these should be able to help you in that area

the co2 regs i would search ebay, I've just sold 8 on their for £7 a pop
i've seen the connectors for the gas bottles at around £25 + postage but i think the local welding shop would be £50 +

TheNorthEastBrewer

Post by TheNorthEastBrewer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:37 pm

youaintseenmeright wrote:I never thought about there is a hydroponics shop in arbroath as well i will give them a visit when i get home from offshore and will let you know i still have not looked into this any deeper yet as i still have some of my s30 left as i ended buying some more off of ebay that i have not even started yet. to be honest i would like to trade in the KK's for cornies as i find you dont really get much in the way of fizz with them and bottles are a pain this is ok with most ales but i would like to try my hand at lager
If you have a C02 tank you can take it to Stuart Ramsays at the West Pitkerro Industrial Estate Dundee thats where I got mine.

youaintseenmeright

Post by youaintseenmeright » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:35 pm

what price are you paying to get your tank refilled and did you get your tank from them also is there any rental charge?

TheNorthEastBrewer

Post by TheNorthEastBrewer » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:15 am

No I was lucky I phoned the guy up asking about C02 for homebrew beer use, I told him BOC wanted a monthly charge and the guy said he would give me a C02 tank but it would cost 20 quid to fill.
He was happy with that as long as I looked after the tank.

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 pm

TheNorthEastBrewer wrote:No I was lucky I phoned the guy up asking about C02 for homebrew beer use, I told him BOC wanted a monthly charge and the guy said he would give me a C02 tank but it would cost 20 quid to fill.
He was happy with that as long as I looked after the tank.
I've just laid my hands on a pub gas bottle I was going to get it filled here
http://www.allsonwholesale.co.uk/contact.html

Will fill a pub gas bottle?

Highlander

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:56 am

Just saw this and thought I would chip in with what I found...

Struggled with places in Aberdeen, only BOC and air products could offer me anything, no luck with welding places. I now go to sd harper in Elgin, but apparently there is a hydroponics place in Dundee that sells gas, though I never checked them out.

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:09 am

I spoke to the hydroponics place and he just siad that they rent full bottles but can't fill them??
and he didn't have any in stock. I was planning to go into the fire extinguisher place today but have had to go away for work.
so i'll give it a shot next week and let you know.