Buffalo Boiler Thermal Switch & Element

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
FutureBrewer
Piss Artist

Buffalo Boiler Thermal Switch & Element

Post by FutureBrewer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi Lee,

Try the (internal) thermal fuse for starters... I'll post some pictures/info tomorrow if it helps you out :)

Cheers,
FB.
Me Man. Me Make Beer.

judasegg
Steady Drinker

Re: Buffalo Boiler Thermal Switch & Element

Post by judasegg » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:09 am

that would be really helpful FB!

FutureBrewer
Piss Artist

Post by FutureBrewer » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi Lee,

If you take the bottom cover off the Buffalo boiler, you should see something like this:

The red wire coming from the live connection on the ceramic connector block has a sheath over it, which is clipped next to the element.

Under the sheath is the thermal fuse.

Nisbets have them in stock for a few quid (but their postage is hefty!)

Personally, I bypassed the fuse when mine blew. To test, bypass it, then (with water in the boiler :wink: ) see if you get power back.

Good luck,
FB.
Last edited by FutureBrewer on Fri May 15, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me Man. Me Make Beer.

50quidsoundboy

Post by 50quidsoundboy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:20 pm

FutureBrewer wrote: Personally, I bypassed the fuse when mine blew. To test, bypass it, then (with water in the boiler :wink: ) see if you get power back.

Good luck,
FB.
just done this. no joy. first AG brew looking like a massive disappointment.

50quidsoundboy

Post by 50quidsoundboy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:23 pm

spoke too soon . looks like we're back in business. streeeeesss!

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Sat May 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.
I think I may be having the same problem...
After 5 brews with no problems, mine cut out toward the end of #6. I thought nothing more of it until today when it gave up the ghost after about 10-20 mins of the boil :(
Checked the fuse in the plug, no joy. Moved the thermal cut out, still nothing. It won't even switch on. No visual signs of anything amiss, so wondering if this thermal fuse is the guilty party.
How do I go about bypassing it? I'm ok when it comes to electrics but I kinda have to learn parrot fashion! And always best to be certain.
Cheers,
D.
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

50quidsoundboy

Post by 50quidsoundboy » Sun May 19, 2013 10:24 pm

i am not an electrician, but: i just snipped out the thermal fuse and twisted the connecting wires together, and wrapped them with insulating tape. it's done 20 or so brews since without incident.

Cpt.Frederickson
Hollow Legs

Post by Cpt.Frederickson » Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 am

Cheers, just did as you suggested and its working fine. I'm going to replace the fuse with a higher rated one as suggested by Legion in another thread and upgrade the cut out too. For a few pennies it seems worth it. And for anyone wondering, see here for extra info.
The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting -
Conditioning - Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - Youngs AAA Kit; Leatherwood Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - Some kits until I can get back to AG, then a hoppy porter, Jim's ESB, some American Red.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 am

I had a cutout issue this weekend even with the thermal cutout switch isolated from the element. I know the weather was hot this weekend but to have reached 120°c in air is worrying.
It was the second boil of the day though. Does anyone run their boiler with the bottom cover removed?
I've ordered the 130°c version so will try that.

rens

Post by rens » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:04 am

I bypassed mine a while back but am considering putting in a higher rated one for improved safety. AnthonyUK or anyone else on this thread; do you know what the temperature rating of the stock fuse is?

Rens

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:09 am

AnthonyUK wrote:I had a cutout issue this weekend even with the thermal cutout switch isolated from the element. I know the weather was hot this weekend but to have reached 120°c in air is worrying.
It was the second boil of the day though. Does anyone run their boiler with the bottom cover removed?
I've ordered the 130°c version so will try that.
I didn't refit bottom cover on my old Buffalo boiler when I had it.
I'd say its OK but not ideal.

You need to be extra careful about where you place the boiler, i.e. not on or near anything conductive.
Mine was running on a Workmate wooden bench so no chance of shorting.

AnthonyUK

Post by AnthonyUK » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:36 pm

rens wrote:I bypassed mine a while back but am considering putting in a higher rated one for improved safety. AnthonyUK or anyone else on this thread; do you know what the temperature rating of the stock fuse is?

Rens
The stock one is 120°c
On Amazon they are £2 for 2 ;) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084CDPWQ
jmc wrote:I didn't refit bottom cover on my old Buffalo boiler when I had it.
I'd say its OK but not ideal.

You need to be extra careful about where you place the boiler, i.e. not on or near anything conductive.
Mine was running on a Workmate wooden bench so no chance of shorting.
Cheers.
I might make a perforated cover just to be on the safe side.

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:06 pm

If you remove the thermal fuse and join the wires together I'd seriously use a connector strip of some sort instead of insulating tape. I'm afraid the heat from the boiler will cause the sticky on the tape to decay and it'll come loose. You've then got uninsulated live wires right next to a lovely SS tank. My experience was sheer disbelief at the size of the bang, and the amount of melted metal from the short circuit when I did this - on different equipment admittedly.
Connector strip : http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electri ... 460/p85099

Can I also ask if any willing buffalo owners would do me a favour and measure the diameter of the boiler element as seen from above (inside the boiler tank). I'm trying to find one which is 115mm across and am wondering if a buffalo is the right size.
Cheers

igloo

Post by igloo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:27 pm

Hello lord groan,

I was about to post a new thread with regards to this issue and was going to post some pictures of the top side of the element anyways, i've read your request and decided to contribute whilst hoping to use this thread to ask about my concern.

I have the pictures but as i am new here i din't find the way to load them. Help me please.

I just got a brand new Apollo 40l. It happens to be just like the Buffalo 40l as far as i have seen in pictures, descriptions and comments. After i opened the lid first time i just got the feeling i was going to have issues with this unit. Scorching issues and cut off. The top of the element does not look right to me. There is a metalic cover on top of where the element goes which just seems to be placed with a few welding points. What's beneath?. The bare element?. Well, this cover is not tight and is far from sealing the element and would not prevent the water/wort to be in direct contact. I can literally stick my nails on the edges.

I have read many reasonable roots causes for the cut offs, etc... But if there is wort going into the gap between the elements and its cover there will be scroching for sure in short time. Are your buffalo boilers like that?. Any Apollo owners?.

Before this unit. I used to brew with a Cynet 30l and the element was 100% consealed and never in contact with wort. Scorching was still posibille on the cover but never on the element. Only when brewing with wheat and had to have a militre thick layer of scorch to trigger cut off. Cleasing it was just as easy as washing dishes. I recommend this boiler and i am regreting i didn't buy it again. I sold the old one because i moved oversea.

Cheers.

lord groan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by lord groan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:42 pm

hi igloo

To post pictures you need to upload them to a photosharing site, I use Imageshack, then add a link to the photo in your post.

It is easier than it sounds
Register with the chosen photosharing site
Find the link to upload media
Find the pictures on your pc that you want to upload
Upload them
Most sites will have an option for sharing the photo, this will give you the code to copy and paste into your JBK post.
thats it!
Image shack has a very helpful "Code for forums" link. All I have done is copy that and stick it into my post and that worked without any fuss
good luck