Brupaks Boiler keeps cutting out!!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
smbenn
Piss Artist

Brupaks Boiler keeps cutting out!!

Post by smbenn » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:11 pm

Grrr! Just about to start the boil after mashing, it gets to about 70C then it trips off. The lights stays on (so it's no a fuse thing), but whatever thermostat is there (might be built into the element so I read somewhere?) is obviously causing it stop heating. The element is very clean. So what's going on? As it's a under a year old (only about 5th brew) just thinking of returning to the shop.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Will have to delay boil until tomorrow evening when I get back from work and hope it can boil from cold for 90 mins ... not good. :evil:

Waste of a valuable Sunday afternoon and 20 quids worth of grain ...
Researching ... by drinking ...

KERNELM

Re: Brupaks Boiler keeps cutting out!!

Post by KERNELM » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:06 am

I used my old brupack for my last brew. Luckily I tested it first and had same symptoms are you. I by passed the thermostat to fix. Chopped the wires and fixed them together with a junction box.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed May 10, 2017 11:26 am

A bit of a thread resurrection but it is still relevant - my sodding Brupaks boiler cut out on me again last night mid boil. Cooled it as it was and pitched the yeast, fingers crossed I have something drinkable...

Decided it was the last time it was doing this so I was going to bypass the thermal cut out. Per Kernelm's note above this means bypassing the whole thermostat assembly but it's as much use as a chocolate teapot anyway. Two screws out on the underside, spade connector from the downstream side of the thermotsat chopped and into the block connector and job done.

I cannot fathom why I didn't do this when it first cut out on me about 3 years ago! Also decided to leave the plastic thing that covers the element off for easier cleaning.

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Post by guypettigrew » Wed May 10, 2017 2:28 pm

You've intrigued me!

What sort of 'plastic thing' covering the element does your boiler have? My Brupaks boiler has a naked element and has never cut out on me.

Guy

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed May 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Interesting. The element is in a sort of a well in the middle, this well has a circular plastic cover with holes about 1/8" diameter in it, held in place by two screws, which gives the whole thing a flat bottom internally.

Somehow, whole hops get through this thing with ease. I actually think it might be part of the problem, hops get trapped in there and cause isolated overheating - perhaps.

Maybe all I needed to do was remove this!

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu May 11, 2017 7:42 am

Yup--reckon that's your answer! Mine has no plastic cover with holes. It never has. These are, I think, intended as jam making bits of equipment, not home brew boilers.

It seems probable the space under the plastic cover is holding the heat and getting above the temperature which causes the element to cut out. If this is the case then leaving the cover in place and bypassing the thermostat my not be a good idea!

Is it too late to try using it without the grill, or have you already bypassed the thermostat etc?

Guy

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Thu May 11, 2017 9:43 am

I have already bypassed the stat I'm afraid, and the manner in which I did it wouldn't be too easily reversed...

I know what you're saying but I took the view that most other boilers (home made ones at least) don't even have the cut out, and I have never heard any horror stories. I have a home made one in a stock pot with a 3kW immersion heater in it which has no thermal protection. I think it's required by legislation in case it boils dry, but the probability of that is rather low.

monkeyboy
Piss Artist

Post by monkeyboy » Thu May 11, 2017 11:59 am

This might be completely wide of the mark (I don't know what the internals of the boiler looks like) but the only time I ever had this happen to me was when the element wasn't properly clean before I started the boil - I'd skipped scrubbing all the hard crap (beer stone?) off it last time I brewed. I had to decant the whole lot, scrub the element clean, and hey presto it worked again.
Fermenting: AG#22 San Diego IPA
Drinking: Probably.

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Thu May 11, 2017 2:05 pm

The element needs regular cleaning to stop it overheating. All elements need this if they are 'naked' in the boil.

I've now moved onto a SS boiler with two 2.4kW elements. They need a good scrub every time.

If you leave the cover in your Brupaks boiler with no thermal cut out possible, there's a chance the element could get so hot the boiler might be damaged.

So, best to remove the cover and stir occasionally during the boil!

Guy

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Thu May 11, 2017 2:30 pm

Yep I frequently clean the element with a brush and cirtric acid. I don't religiously do it every time, but then again the water here is incredibly soft. I'm more and more convinced that hops getting under the cover and restricting the holes, thus preventing the circulation of the wort away from the element is the issue.

patwestlake
Steady Drinker

Post by patwestlake » Mon May 15, 2017 11:51 am

I had the exact same issue as the OP - cutting out in the middle if a boil. It also happens if you just try it with water. Even if you turn the stat to simmer mode, it is only by the slightest of margins/moves that you can keep it on the boil. The safety grid/perforated disc only make matters worse as it restricts the natural convection from the element. I'm now converting mine completely as a pure HLT - adding a flange takeoff in the element sump to a solar pump which can then either pump on recirc via the original outlet or onward for either mash or sparge. As I've no need to protect the element, I've removed the grid. I'll also remove the thermostatic control and replace with a pid/ssr for control (probably ott and could use an stc with suitable relay). PT100 just sits in the original pocket to avoid high temps damaging the plastic. will post pics once done.

Pat
FV : #99 Highway to Helles (Munich Helles)
Next up - #100 Farmhouse in Your Soul (Saison)

Drinking :
#98 Bells Light Hearted (3.9% IPA)
#97 Decadence 64 (Mosaic IPA)
#96 Wicked Weasel (Fursty Ferret Clone)
#95 Penarth Gold (Loweswater Gold Clone)
#94 Cheeseburger Cavalry (US IPA)

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Wed May 17, 2017 11:54 am

Sounds good Pat. Adding some sort of accurate temperature control would certainly be useful, I use this boiler to heat my mash water also.

I was wondering if an STC sensor would fit in the sensor pocket, from memory I think it might be a bit big.

Are you using something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Temper ... 00HVA23CK/ ?

Cheers

patwestlake
Steady Drinker

Post by patwestlake » Wed May 17, 2017 9:42 pm

hi jambo,

yes that is what is on order - however I also already have their stc1000 look-alike (or is it the same item rebadged?) which I will also test to see what the control is like. I'll let you know!

Pat
FV : #99 Highway to Helles (Munich Helles)
Next up - #100 Farmhouse in Your Soul (Saison)

Drinking :
#98 Bells Light Hearted (3.9% IPA)
#97 Decadence 64 (Mosaic IPA)
#96 Wicked Weasel (Fursty Ferret Clone)
#95 Penarth Gold (Loweswater Gold Clone)
#94 Cheeseburger Cavalry (US IPA)

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Fri May 19, 2017 9:33 am

That would be great, thanks. I would also need to confirm if the STC1000-a-like is rated for the 2x00W load, I can't remember.

Jambo
Hollow Legs

Post by Jambo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:44 pm

First brew without the 'filter' and thermostat, what a difference. HLT on to FV in the fridge in 4 hrs, delighted with that!