New Sodastream adapter - again!

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
simoncbn

New Sodastream adapter - again!

Post by simoncbn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:55 am

Sorry to bring up this subject again, but I seemed to be going round in circles with other posts on this subject.
Up till now I have been using the Hambleton Bard CO2 bottles, squirting it in when necessary via the S30 valve. Living in France it is impossible to get refills; I have tried when in England but with no luck. The solution for me seems to be the sodastream (new thread version) which is readily available here. I have ordered one of these http://www.us-aquaristikshop.com/co2-ad ... waffe.html which outputs to a 1/2 inch male thread, standard CO2 I believe. I have read that people think it simply connects to the old sodastream adapter and then to the S30 valve.
2 questions:
Has anybody actually done it; does it work?
How does the old adapter connect to the S30 valve; is it a permanent connection or some type of push on fitting, and will I need 3 hands to use it?
I'm sure that the perfect solution/adapter is out there somewhere; in the meantime I inject an 8g bulb from time to time, but I prefer to be able to control the amount of gas that goes in.

Beershed Brewer

Re: New Sodastream adapter - again!

Post by Beershed Brewer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi simoncbn,

All you need do is screw the bit that you used to fit to your Hambleton Bard gas bottle onto the adaptor you have ordered, then screw that onto the sodastream bottle.
Then use as before.
http://scottishcraftbrewers.org/gallery ... t=0&pos=13 <---this hopefully will take you to a pic of my adaptor I'm using with a Widget World handle.
Regards
Dave

simoncbn

Post by simoncbn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. The HB bottle screws direct onto the S30 valve. What I need is an adapter to connect the male 1/2" thread of the German adapter to the male thread of the S30 valve (3/4"?) I was hoping that the old sodastream bottle to S30 adapter would do the job, but I'm not sure.

Underground Joe

Post by Underground Joe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Beershed Brewer wrote:Hi simoncbn,

All you need do is screw the bit that you used to fit to your Hambleton Bard gas bottle onto the adaptor you have ordered, then screw that onto the sodastream bottle.
Then use as before.
http://scottishcraftbrewers.org/gallery ... t=0&pos=13 <---this hopefully will take you to a pic of my adaptor I'm using with a Widget World handle.
Regards
Dave
I've had enough of the eight gram gas cartridges for my king kegs and this looks exactly what I need to convert to. Do you have a complete list of parts that I would need to order so that I can copy what you have done please?

Beershed Brewer

Post by Beershed Brewer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:40 pm

Hello again simon,
My mistake I thought this is what you were using, http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/public/det ... OD20124928

My description above works with this adaptor with old sodastream bottles.

Joe,
The sodastream bottle in the picture is the newer 60l bottle with a trapeziodal thread.

Apparently there has been a change to how the Midget Widget handle is supplied.

http://www.widgetworld.co.uk/midget-wid ... e-brewing/ <--this is something like what you are after.
http://www.hopshopuk.com/categories/vie ... gas-system
I ordered the wrong adaptor (the shiny adaptor in the pic in the post above). I had to remove a little brass piece inside and replaced it with a piece of bamboo
skewer to work properly.
The newer sodastream bottles are available from Argos.

Hope this helps.

regards
Dave

Underground Joe

Post by Underground Joe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 am

Cheers Dave

gordone44

Post by gordone44 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:36 pm

HI Simon

I wondered if you had tried the adapror reccomended as I have the same dilema. I already have he adaptor from the Hop and Grape that fist the 35L sodasteam bottles and S30 valve so if the adaptor reccomeded does the job I should be sorted.

Thanks

Gordon

simoncbn

Post by simoncbn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Hello Gordon
As I've just posted on a another forum

Finally, I have gas!! I can confirm that the old sodastream brass adapter fits into the german new sodastream adapter. You need to remove the central brass screw from the german adapter and replace it with a suitable length nail or other pin so that when the assembly is pushed onto the S30 valve the central brass shaft in the old adapter pushes up the nail and opens the new sodastream bottle letting you taste your beer which has been locked in the barrel for 2 weeks It obviously costs a bit at first but then it's just a case of getting sodastream refills.
This is the part
http://www.magnetventile-shop.de/zubeho ... waffe.html

If you switch on Google translate it does a pretty good job; certainly enough to understand. The part costs €20 plus €18 for postage to UK (incl tax); a bit steep I know but there is no choice really.

Cheers
Simon

gordone44

Post by gordone44 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks Simon

Fizzfan

Post by Fizzfan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:41 pm

Hiya, apologies for bumping such an old thread, but this is the only place I've been able to find that might be able to answer my question!

I have an obsolete Sodastream machine (about 8 years old) that accepts the old 5 (?) threaded bottles (35 l / 60l).

I would like to get an adapter that would let me use the current sodastream canisters (3 trapezoidal threads) with this old machine so I can give it to my mum.

Would the item from the German site mentioned above (http://www.us-aquaristikshop.com/co2-ad ... waffe.html) enable me to do this?

I'd like to keep the machine out of landfill if possible!

Many thanks,

Martin

Hairybiker
Hollow Legs

Post by Hairybiker » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:26 am

Nope the new bottles are MUCH larger than the old ones, you can't physically fit them to the old SS units.

Fizzfan

Post by Fizzfan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi HairyBiker,

Thanks for responding! I can confirm that the machine I am hoping to re-use is one of the newer generation ones, and can take the current larger 60 litre canisters. It is not one of the old school 80's ones designed for the old 35L canisters. It used to take the larger Alco2Jet canisters before Sodastream standardised their threads.

The only issue I can foresee is that whatever adapter I use may increase the full length of the canister so that it sticks out of the bottom, but I am confident that I would be able to sort out a wee booster base to increase the internal height of the machine to ensure there is sufficient clearance for the canister.

I basically need to know if the external / male threads of the item being sold on the German site would match the threading of the older steel 35 L canisters. However, I am not familiar enough with the old specifications to make that judgement!

Thanks,

M

Redimpz
Hollow Legs

Post by Redimpz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Does anyone know where I can get an adapter to fit the old style soda stream gas bottle so that I can use it on my s-30 king keg?
Thanks.

Nitro Jim
Piss Artist

Post by Nitro Jim » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:51 pm

I have an old style canister and an adapter but have not been able to find anywhere to have the canister refilled/exchanged. Anybody out there know if this is possible? Dependent on any replies i may have an adapter available...
Beer is my drug of choice.
I don't need anger management classes, I need people to stop pissing me off.

No beer, no fun - know beer, know FUN!

Carrots may be good for your eyes but alcohol is better as it gives you double vision!

Kevwaller
Steady Drinker

Post by Kevwaller » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:02 am

Go to co2 supermarket to get adapter for new canisters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk