Is My Shiny False Bottom Rubbish?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
JabbA

Re: Is My Shiny False Bottom Rubbish?

Post by JabbA » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:14 pm

I did try some 9mm hose and sewed the join with a strand of SS wire cut from a length of braiding (pic at the bottom of page 2). It did appear a tad loose after the the first, and only, time I've used it- I'll pull it tighter and give it another go.

Cheers,
Jamie

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:18 pm

JabbA wrote:I did try some 9mm hose and sewed the join with a strand of SS wire cut from a length of braiding (pic at the bottom of page 2). It did appear a tad loose after the the first, and only, time I've used it- I'll pull it tighter and give it another go.

Cheers,
Jamie
Is it soft silicone or is it the harder beer line?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:52 pm

I use exactly the same false bottom from Brewbuilder. The only difference is I have a bottom drain underneath, but if anything that would make any problem worse.

Unless the entire thing is buckled with a massive gap on one side you don't need to seal around the edges, you just need to get the grain bed set.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Yeah, I drain underneath, I've capped of the hole in the middle. The is definite gap, I've tried to 'encourage' it flat all round but it's having none of it! Perhaps I need to wait longer for the grain bed to settle before starting to re-circulate; there's so much more open area compared to my old plastic plate with a few holes drilled in it!

I'm aiming to crush my grain and get a brew on tomorrow, not recirculate and leave to mash overnight- I'll report back on how it goes!

Cheers,
Jamie

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:07 pm

Sounds good.

After I've added the water for a batch sparge I'll give it 5 minutes to settle then start recirculating, just initially with the tap cracked open for half a pint, and then I'll widen it so it's half open. Once the wort goes from turbid to just hazy (about a couple of litres) I open up the tap and run off full blast.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:09 pm

Sounds like a plan. I'm wondering if under-letting would help too...

Cheers,
Jamie

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:01 pm

These false-bottoms can sometimes move around (say when mashing in) and can ride up a bit on the radius at the edge of the pot. Does it seem centralised after you've finished?
Kev

JabbA

Post by JabbA » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:32 pm

A little update on my issues: I finally got round to using my mill and doing an overnight mash a couple of weeks ago. I conditioned the malt and the crush wasn't as fine as it could have been, and had no issues with run off when fly sparging. I hit neigh on 75% efficiency, I'll close the gap on the mill a tad to see if i can get up towards 80% and still have a grain-free run off.

Cheers,
Jamie