Show Us Yer Kit

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Mike8578
Steady Drinker

Show Us Yer Kit

Post by Mike8578 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Been a very long time since I've been on here - been busy moving house and doing things on said house! The good news is that the new place has a nice brick outbuilding/shed which is a pretty decent size. So guess what that's ear-marked for :)

It's now getting to the point in time where I need to start planning what setup I want, having previously only had a plastic blue food barrel setup (which we had some cracking brews out of to be fair).

I couldn't immediately see whether this has already been done, so apologies if there is a thread, but I think it might be useful to plenty starting out/upgrading, if there was a sticky where people could just post up pictures of their setup.

So, show us what you've got :D

seymour
It's definitely Lock In Time

Re: Show Us Yer Kit

Post by seymour » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:49 pm

I love this idea, can't wait to see everyone's setups.

My kit is very basic, homemade, and manual-operated but flexible in the sense that most everything can serve multiple purposes as need be. At this point, I have no electric elements or thermostat controls or anything, though after seeing all your cool UK homebrew circuits, that's probably the direction of my next upgrade. For heat, I just use my natural gas stove or outdoor propane burner "turkey fryer" setup. No pumps either, I just transfer between vessels using the ball valves and gravity, or with an auto-siphon racking cane. Other typical bits include: a copper pipe wort chiller, a homemade magnetic stir plate and glass growlers for yeast starters, digital kitchen scale, thermometers, hydrometers, funnels, mesh strainers, paint stirrer and drill for aeration, multiple buckets and carboys, tubing, wine thief, a small hop-back/randall, bottling bucket, capper, morter and pestle, etc. All very inexpensive and utilitarian.

Multi-purpose mash-tun/lauter-tun/boil kettles

Hand-cranked Corona style grainmill

Propane burner turkey fryer

dynamic dave

Post by dynamic dave » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Should the thread title not be "GET YOUR KITS OUT FOR THE LADS" :lol:

Its not pretty but its works.

Deller12

Post by Deller12 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Just about finished my kit now but i have a few bits to finish off then im done :roll:

I must admit i love my new set up but my first all grain brew made using a old cool box was bloody lovely :D

Mike8578
Steady Drinker

Post by Mike8578 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:22 pm

Excellent! This is exactly the sort of stuff I wanted to see. If it wasn't tucked up in my dad's garage I'd get some pics up of my own Heath Robinson setup.

Would love to see more though, especially those that are lucky enough to have a static setup in a brew-shed or suchlike. :D

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm sure you've seen The Electric Brewery website, right? The circuits would be designed for US voltage, but the broad concepts are interchangeable. Loads of pictures and how-to info.

dynamic dave

Post by dynamic dave » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Wow what times take off ground control. =D>

seymour

Post by seymour » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:41 pm

dynamic dave wrote:Wow what times take off ground control. =D>
Exactly. If yer gonna dream, dream big, right?

Matt12398

Post by Matt12398 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 pm

My brother aka Belter has something very similar to the Electric Brewery. Barneey as well has something pretty special.

Lets see them

Horatio
Under the Table

Post by Horatio » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:42 am

This is mine...
Still a work in progress but happy with it. :D
If I had all the money I'd spent on brewing... I'd spend it on brewing!

Mike8578
Steady Drinker

Post by Mike8578 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Excellent stuff. I'm thinking of something similar myself. I may even get a picture tonight of the space that I've got to play with.

Keep 'em coming chaps/chapesses :)

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Here's my brewing shed, which is currently a work in progress, hopefully gonna sort
out cutting/laying the worktop tonight, now that it's sunny!

golden brewer

Post by golden brewer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:27 am

This my set up. Built it about 5 years ago but have continually changed and upgraded things in that time. It is a 3 vessel system with a PID controlled HERMS.
The HLT has 2 electric jug elements controlled by a PID controller and the kettle is heated by 2 over the side 2.4Kw elements. The boil vigour is controlled by a Burstfire controller on each element.
The main pump is a March pump and there is a solar pump on the HLT which circulates the HLT to help with stratification and is aslo used when fly sparging.
The wort is cooled by a plate exchanger but I also have a immersion chiller.
Last edited by golden brewer on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

golden brewer

Post by golden brewer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:46 am

*Edit-Updated photo link.
Last edited by golden brewer on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:35 am

golden brewer wrote:This my set up. Built it about 5 years ago but have continually changed and upgraded things in that time. It is a 3 vessel system with a PID controlled HERMS.
The HLT has 2 electric jug elements controlled by a PID controller and the kettle is heated by 2 over the side 2.4Kw elements. The boil vigour is controlled by a Burstfire controller on each element.
The main pump is a March pump and there is a solar pump on the HLT which circulates the HLT to help with stratification and is aslo used when fly sparging.
The wort is cooled by a plate exchanger but I also have a immersion chiller.

Well I'm certainly know Hulk but I did just turn green :mrgreen: So what would you change if you were starting again?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer