Kettle Element Controler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
James

Post by James » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:21 am

Pants,

Thats a shame. My boiler cutting in/out bugs me..really want to control it (i.e. operate at say 100% power to bring up to boil then 60% power to maintain boil) just like you would on a cooker...

Which bring me handily onto....Ive just installed a new cooker and ripped out the old electric plate cooker.

Anyone see any problems in wiring the switch from the cooker (with 1-6 positions) into the circuit on my Thorn? seems totally OK to me (assuming the switch can handle 2.4Kw, and I wire it all up safely)

JC

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:10 pm

When I wired mine up last night I mixed up the "live" and "load" connections and wondered why it would only work when on "full". :bonk

Andy

Post by Andy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:02 pm

Just testing it by pulse sterilising my CFC! Aquarium pump circulating sterlizer through the CFC copper.

All is well B)

James

Post by James » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:43 am

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Jan 14 2006, 12:09 PM)I found using a simmerstat at least gave the appearance of power control. If you watch the element as it heats, it appears that at low settings it continualy gently bubbles away and at higher settings the heat it is more vigerous as you would expect but still steady, the proportional switching process isnt noticable like the old electrim control unit so the boiler doesnt opperate in waves per say.

DAAB, so do you reckon if I rip out the Thorn electrim controller (which I assume is an on/off type thermostat) and replace it with a simmerstat, it will be, lets say 'easier' to maintain a rolling boil.

The thorn controller doesnt allow you to really *maintain* a rolling boil..you either get 100% power or 0%, wheras only 50% power would be needed to maintain a boil. It has no control. This is what I am trying to achive

As the ad says "power is nothing without control"!! :D

JC

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:05 am

simmerstats are still an on/off device though!

jim uses a "variac" which allows you to vary the voltage level to the heating element but they're not easy to get hold of cheaply I believe.

If you do add a simmerstat then can't you leave the existing thorn controller in place but turn it up to "maximum" so that it will never cut out and leave the switching to the simmerstat instead ? Might be easier to put together and you've still got an intact Thorn boiler!

Mains--->New simmerstat--->Existing boiler with controller on 'maximum'

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:11 pm

DaaB, no not tested the stat plugged into the HLT yet. I don't intend to use it for the boiler at this stage unless the Burco simmerstat is no good. I'll be using the stat to keep the HLT liquor at a given temp.

BTW The lead on my simmerstat wasn't an ex-kettle lead I bought 2m of 10A cable and a rubber socket from Wilkos and made it up from that.

James

Post by James » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:29 pm

QUOTE (Daft as a Brush @ Jan 15 2006, 03:52 PM)Thats where I think it beats the Electrim thermostat, holding temp closer to required and more smoothly.

Next job...install simmerstat.. :P

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Note to self...stop building stuff..

Note to Andy...stop building stuff...

Note to DAAB...stop encouraging Andy and me to build stuff...

JC :D

dynamic dave

Re: Kettle Element Controler

Post by dynamic dave » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:35 am

Hi just read through this post and I want to make my own boiler mainly because after reading about shop bought ones cutting out on higher worts.
So I bought a cheap Tesco kettle JK07 FOR £4.80 and have striped it down to element removed the cut out plastic pin with spring question are,
1.What is the best height from the bottom of the barrel to mount it, will I need to keep the Grains of the element and if so how?
2.I will be using hot water from my combi boiler so not to wait so long for a boil the liquor (hence one element) has anyone use this variac transformer from maplin to control the roll boil?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=6476

Any thoughts on wiring it up to the element?
Technical Specification

0.75A Version
Terminal: Connection:
AC 0 to 240V operation
1: Input & output negative
2: Input positive AC 240 V
3: Output positive AC 0 to 240 V
AC 0 to 270 V operation
4: Input positive AC 240 V
3: Output positive AC 0 to 270 V
Dimensions:
90(h) x 84(dia.) x 97(l) mm
2 x 4mm holes on 28mm PCD,
8mm hole for shaft

thanks

sparky Paul

Post by sparky Paul » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:52 am

dynamic dave wrote:has anyone use this variac transformer from maplin to control the roll boil?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=6476

Any thoughts on wiring it up to the element?
Technical Specification

0.75A Version
Terminal: Connection:
AC 0 to 240V operation
2: Input positive AC 240 V
3: Output positive AC 0 to 240 V
AC 0 to 270 V operation
4: Input positive AC 240 V
3: Output positive AC 0 to 270 V
Dimensions:
90(h) x 84(dia.) x 97(l) mm
2 x 4mm holes on 28mm PCD,
8mm hole for shaft
Unfortunately, no where near big enough for a kettle element... only capable of supplying 0.75A, a kettle element will take 10A at full voltage.

dynamic dave

Post by dynamic dave » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:52 pm

OK thanks will have buy simmerstat then.

dynamic dave

Post by dynamic dave » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:56 pm

The control knob on the simmerstat determines what proportion is spent on, and what off. For example with the knob turned to a quarter it might use a cycle of 5 seconds on then 15 seconds off, thus giving roughly a quarter of the heating element's full power.

I ordered Diamond H Energy Regulator (Simmerstat) 31ER1HT but it has been replace with 41ER110B1 you need to remove the link wire two connections on the back ,then live IN into P1,two neutrals to 4A,earth to earth.