PolyKegs 150 Number for £75.00

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories

PolyKegs 150 Number for £75.00

Post by barneey » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 pm

I`ve managed to get a PolyKeg sent to me for trial.

Normally these things are a disposable asset, but wishing to find out how they work I took one apart.

There are 150 of these kegs available which are available as a whole lot NOT individually at an amazing price of £75.00 for the lot. Ive posted this in the Equipment Section as it will more than likely last the test of time and may prove a valuable resource in the future.

Basically having de-constructed the thing its a simple anti taper plastic thing (rather like a soda bottle top part but in reverse) and a screw on spear.

The biggest hurdle would be unscrewing the spear although this could be done simply with a home made spanner / socket with 4 cut outs on it (rather like the Halfords socket I made for my crusader kegs).

So in theory for the homebrew bunch of DIY enthusiast they could certainly be reused.

The only reason for taking the keg apart was to actually see what was happening inside.

Now before anyone asks about setting up a group buy....... I`m NOT [-X interested , to get this deal you will need to collect the 150 kegs as one lot from Norwich, I can only simply pass on the contact details of their owner , nothing more, BUT you will more than likely need to collect them this week.

Hair of the dog, bacon, butty.
Hops, cider pips & hello.

Name the Movie + song :)

mooj
Hollow Legs

Re: PolyKegs 150 Number for £75.00

Post by mooj » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 pm

Interesting find, I assume these are the 20L ones and they're used, not brand new? I'd like to get hold of some of these to use as secondary fermenters - 150 of them though? :? If someone was to pick them up and sell them in multiples of 2 for £10 delivered I reckon they would make over £200 in profit (based on £6 post and packing). It would be a right ball-ache packing and sending them though so not sure it would be worth it.

http://www.polykeg.it/modules_cms/PrCat ... ?cc=2&pc=5
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:31 pm

I was looking at one of these in Bookers the other day but they wanted £60 (for a full one, admittedly) - wondered if they could be "reused" with a little ingenuity :)

150 of em will need someone with a fair amount of space too....but a very good price
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:11 am

I think you've managed to show every picture there apart from one that shows the whole thing!
What do they look like? How much do they hold?

barneey

Post by barneey » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:37 am

A quick search on the internet will reveal all....

http://www.polykeg.it/modules_cms/HomePage.php

http://www.polykeg.it/modules_cms/PrCat ... ?cc=2&pc=1

They are the "T" type keg

The one I was sent I believe from the size was a 24ltr although I believe the 150 are 30lt in size either will be good for a "standard" batch size.

The seller will not entertain people buying 1 or 2 kegs he operates a business (has little time) so its 150 or nothing collection this week. If you have storage / understanding Mrs, hire a Luton van for £100 + fuel and go get them - even if you sold them on at £5 to £7.50 each you more than cover any costs. You will need to look in to making the spanners to remove the spears etc.

I have no connection with the seller and am just passing on the information I have in the hope someone might take the oportunity to provide a cheap source of kegs , rather like the pins that are being sold at the moment.

I live a little too far from the seller / dont have storage for 150 kegs therefore didnt proceed with the purchase.

One final note if you buy them its at your own risk NOT mine.

Morten

Post by Morten » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:53 am

Oooooh my.

My "buy it now, just for the heck of it" finger hasen't been itching this much for a loooong time :D

barneey

Post by barneey » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:09 am

mooj wrote:Interesting find, I assume these are the 20L ones and they're used, not brand new? I'd like to get hold of some of these to use as secondary fermenters - 150 of them though? :? If someone was to pick them up and sell them in multiples of 2 for £10 delivered I reckon they would make over £200 in profit (based on £6 post and packing). It would be a right ball-ache packing and sending them though so not sure it would be worth it.

http://www.polykeg.it/modules_cms/PrCat ... ?cc=2&pc=5

Up until earlier this week there was nearly distribution points via members in Kent, Norfolk, Oxford, and Cumbria BUT group buys very seldom work :roll: my idea would have then been to pass them on "collection" first in a set of 4 to 5 kegs each member of the group only having say 30 kegs to move on...... 6 to 7 collections would have done it. The lucky owners paying say £25.00 to £37.50 for 5 kegs :!: :!: ...... no brainer me thinks... if you had been left with a few over then offer them for "postage" sale.

boingy

Post by boingy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Well, I can see why that website thought they needed a model to spice up the pictures a little. They're very cheap but not exactly nice looking things. :twisted:

barneey

Post by barneey » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:51 pm

All depends if you have a glass door on your kegerator?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:57 pm

Function over form :P

Really wish I could work out a way of getting these lol :)
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

barneey

Post by barneey » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Pinto wrote:Function over form :P

Really wish I could work out a way of getting these lol :)

Hire yourself a Luton van and spend a day collecting them - simples :)

Morten

Post by Morten » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:22 am

Did anyone buy these?

barneey

Post by barneey » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Not that I know of + only one other member contacted me for the details of the seller, no idea if they are still available but I`ve vowed never to get involved in a group buy again - they never seem to work IMO.

If someone does buy them / or they appear on ebay for sale depending on price I`ll gladly buy a few.

mozza
Under the Table

Post by mozza » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:04 pm

boingy wrote:Well, I can see why that website thought they needed a model to spice up the pictures a little. They're very cheap but not exactly nice looking things. :twisted:
There were kegs on that website?! :lol:
Cheers and gone,

Mozza

asd

Post by asd » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:53 am

Hi,

If these are still around.... I am based in Norwich. I intend to hire a Luton van in the next few days for another job. I have storage space for these kegs. I would be willing to have a look at them, and front up the £75 If I thought they were genuinely reuseable.

Simon.