fridge-freezer. have my cake & eat it?

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Gurgeh

fridge-freezer. have my cake & eat it?

Post by Gurgeh » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:04 am

I've had a good look through previous posts and need to confirm something...

I have a fridge freezer - fridge for cornies, freezer for hops and stuff from allotment.

I looked at temperature controlling with my computer/lego setup or with an ATC-800 but would prefer to keep the freezer running all the time...

so am i looking to replace the thermostat for the fridge instead?

I've tried following links to RS, but get session-timeout notices :?

if i am on the right track, could someone give me a stock number or similar so I can get the right thermostat.

Alternatively, my fridge does have a dial, which seems to alter fridge temp from about 1C to 6C. is the component behind this something that can be replaced to get me up to 12C?

FlippinMental
Hollow Legs

Post by FlippinMental » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:15 am

Hi Gurgeh. i opted to replace the existing thermostat with the rs stat. the process was straight forward, requiring removing the old stat housing, disconnect wires and remove old stat, reverse to fit new stat. i had to drill a couple of holes in the housing to mount the new stat. the whole job took about 30 minutes. I’ve seen photographs somewhere on the forum that showed the process.

FM

RS Stock no. 250-6112
Availability S Y In stock

Manufact. part no. IM-TR2/540030
Catalogue page 1-1416
Add item to my comparison table

Quantity Price: Each
1+ £13.57
6+ £12.49
12+ £12.09

Description
Thermostat,std,adj,capillary,0 to +40degC

Attributes
Category Thermal Switches
Maximum Switching Voltage 250Vac

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:01 am

perfect.

cheers FM :D

edit: have just ordered it 8)
Last edited by Gurgeh on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:36 am

If you keep it running all the time then everything inside will turn to ice :)

(Presumably you meant then you don't want to use a controller to switch the mains input to the fridge on/off ? )
Dan!

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:55 am

DaaB wrote:
I looked at temperature controlling with my computer/lego setup or with an ATC-800 but would prefer to keep the freezer running all the time...
Fridges/Freezers don't run all the time, if you used an ATC 800 in place or alongside the thermostat (set on max) then effectively all you are doing is changing the spec of the existing stat.
nuts. hadn't thought of that - and i could have attached a heater belt to the atc-800 to make sure it stays 12c even in winter. too late now!

TheBigEasy

Post by TheBigEasy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:30 pm

They work for me.

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:19 pm

me too. that's what i bought

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:31 am

Fitted my new thermostat last night and turned the dial to 0C. temp on thermometer says 0C, so pretty chuffed with that. putting my latest brew in there is 2ndry at that temp for a few days and then it's up to 12C for my cornies :D :D :D

roger the dog

Post by roger the dog » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:07 pm

How has everyone got round the fact that RS sell to trade only ? Has everyone ordered their 'stats through their work ? I only ask because I'd like to get one but can't do it through work :cry:

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:17 pm

I just registered with them online a few years back and had no hassle. Their Ts & Cs state that they're a "business to business" company as you mention but I've order stuff to my home address before. Perhaps they're more picky now ?

Have you tried registering online as a new customer ? (Not via the "Open Account" link as that's for a company credit account but via the "Register with RS Online" link instead )
Dan!

roger the dog

Post by roger the dog » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:12 pm

Thanks chaps, I'll give it a go 8)

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:06 pm

i just put 'na' for my business name. I didn't even realise - go ahead and order!

bandit

Post by bandit » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:27 pm

I ordered one a few weeks ago and put my wifes business name above our address and it arrived. They then charged me postage. I rang and complained and they opened an online account for me. I ordered another last week and it came on friday. As the account was open I was not charged postage. BONUS :lol: :lol:

roger the dog

Post by roger the dog » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:27 pm

Well, I signed up, ordered one & I've got an order number so fingers crossed [-o<

roger the dog

Post by roger the dog » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:59 am

Guess what the postman brought this morning :wink: :D