March 809-PL-HS pump

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Sir_Hop_alot

March 809-PL-HS pump

Post by Sir_Hop_alot » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Good morning all

Just a quick note to say that March May are now holding stock of the March 809-PL-HS pump in 230v. It's taken some time to attain the CE safety certificates that prevented the sale of them into the EU, the difficulty was the potential sales volumes. As these are manufactured by March in the USA, there is no demand there for CE marking. Selling an electrical product here in Europe without a CE mark can see you hanged by your knackers by the dim-wits in Brussels.

March May can now offer the 809 for smaller brews and the SS-4R (made here in blighty) for larger brew lengths and more performance (more pressure and flow).

Both are suitable for continuous operation at 120°c and Both cost £130 + VAT

If you would like to discuss anything about pumps with somebody who actually brews and understands a thing or two about the challenges we face, please feel free to contact me directly, on here or via the following:

Johnathan Pope

01480 214444
johnathan.pope@marchmay.co.uk

P.S - we will shortly be going live with an e-commerce shop and will be supplying pumps, stock pots, fittings, tubing etc.

roscoe

Re: March 809-PL-HS pump

Post by roscoe » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:58 pm

having the option to get a bigger impeller effectively turns the 809 into an 815 and works great for me !

would be nice to see march may uk selling the bigger impeller and spare PL housings at a decent price as well.

Sir_Hop_alot

Post by Sir_Hop_alot » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback Roscoe, the difficulty to date has been of course the CE mark issue, for many it may seem trivial but as a company we can end up hot water if we sell products that do not carry the correct certification.

Because we haven't been able to sell the March 809/815 range, we haven't been stocking them or their spares. On the odd occasion that we have had requests for spares (which we have been able to sell) we have had to ship them in from the USA on their own. Meaning longer lead times and increased costs. Now that we are ok to sell them, I will place an order on the USA for a host of different spares, including the 815 impellers. If you have a requirement for them in the future, contact me directly and reference our conversation and I will 'look after you'

Just for info, our own SS-4R that we make in the UK is a great alternative to the 809/815 range. It offers bags more flow and head at the same price as the 809 range. It's the model that I use myself both on 40l pilot brews and my main 200l brew. It has a 1" inlet and 1/2" outlet, but I've reduced to 1/2" with no problems.

Datasheet for reference; http://marchmay.co.uk/files/individual- ... 20Temp.pdf

mabrungard
Piss Artist

Post by mabrungard » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:34 pm

I do like this pump. I also upgraded the impeller to the 815 unit with good result. I prefer the plastic pump housing in my system since there is less heat loss than with a metal head. To avoid breaking the fittings off the head, my pump is mounted in a frame that supports the fittings and prevents any movement. The pump below is over 13 years old and has never suffered a failure.
Martin B
Indianapolis, Indiana

BJCP National Judge
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at: https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Wat ... =bookmarks

weetabixface
Steady Drinker

Post by weetabixface » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:49 pm

impeller upgrade sounds interesting, will keep that in mind

W

kebabman
Piss Artist

Post by kebabman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:01 pm

Mabrungard, thanks for posting the photo, a useful idea.

far9410
Even further under the Table

Post by far9410 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:11 pm

Is there a metal bodied pump that falls between the prices of this and a solar project pump? I would like something that looks a bit more substantial than my solar but can't justify the price at this time.
no palate, no patience.

Drinking - of course

weetabixface
Steady Drinker

Post by weetabixface » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:33 pm

IIRC http://www.brewbuilder.co.uk/ have something around the 100GBP mark with a stainless pump body but you need to factor in the cost of a suitable PSU

W