Dry hopping - tap filter

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Bigster

Dry hopping - tap filter

Post by Bigster » Sun May 21, 2006 8:32 pm

I will be barrelling my abbot clone in a few days and was considering adding the dry hops as the recipe suggests.

However I have a concern on how to fit something to stop the tap blocking. My problem is that my budgt barrel only has a 2 inch hole at the top so fitting my boiler hop filter is going to be near impossible.

My tap is pictured below. Any suggestions .... :(

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Sun May 21, 2006 8:35 pm

Hops in a muslin bag, attach a length of fishing line or similar to the bag and trap the other end in the top lid of the keg, set the length so the bag sits just above the tap at maximum extension.

Reg
I do it all with smoke and mirrors

Post by Reg » Sun May 21, 2006 8:38 pm

"Dry" hops float... ;)

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Sun May 21, 2006 8:41 pm

Top man andy - I like the sound of that.

These muslin bags are they sold at HB shops or is it a case of diy - I am guessing it is the sort of material I use to strain my fruit in winemaking :huh:

:beer

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun May 21, 2006 8:43 pm

Sold at HB shops for not much cash! In fact I used one today when dry hopping my latest brew :D

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/item1417.htm

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Sun May 21, 2006 8:46 pm

Cheers andy - out of interest I guess at that price they are throw away after not reuse jobs

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun May 21, 2006 8:50 pm

QUOTE (Bigster @ May 21 2006, 09:46 PM) Cheers andy - out of interest I guess at that price they are throw away after not reuse jobs
I'm a tightwad so I reuse mine :D

Reg

Post by Reg » Sun May 21, 2006 8:53 pm

Sorry...

Could I please take my moderator gloves off for a second after many dryhopped brews... Thanks.

QUOTE (ModGlovesOff)Are you planning to dryhop with all of Kent or are you just trying to dry hop a barrel with a small casting of hops as has been done for hundreds of years without any fishing line or muslin bags or Nanite-Borg hop2tap preventers or Oppenheimer-Hawking hop black holes etc.

Cast your hops, barrel your beer, enjoy... ;) Dry hops float for weeks and those that drop, drop straight down, more importantly below the height of any tap.

Reg

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun May 21, 2006 8:57 pm

:lol:

Reg

Post by Reg » Sun May 21, 2006 9:08 pm

QUOTE (andy @ May 21 2006, 08:57 PM) :lol:

;) Andy... B)

Sorry Andy and Bigster, just trying to pop a myth here... :D The only time those hops will clog your tap is if you tilt the barrel at the end for a taste of settled yeast and any trub that was carried over following racking.. ;)

Honestly... Don't bother about it. :P

Andy

Post by Andy » Sun May 21, 2006 9:12 pm

I use a hop bag as I condition in a King Keg (where I perform the dry hopping) and then transfer to Cornie after that. Having the hops contained in a hop bag just makes it easier when I syphon from keg to Cornie :)

Reg

Post by Reg » Sun May 21, 2006 9:32 pm

QUOTE (andy @ May 21 2006, 09:12 PM) I use a hop bag as I condition in a King Keg (where I perform the dry hopping) and then transfer to Cornie after that. Having the hops contained in a hop bag just makes it easier when I syphon from keg to Cornie :)
Oops! :D I'm far more lo-tech... I just chuck 'em in the barrel... :o :P

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Mon May 22, 2006 11:00 am

Reg

I will give the 'chuck em in the barrel 'a go and keep my fingers crossed - its only 10g anyway ....... keep the other approach when / if I go hi tech

Yours cautiously optimistic ;)

Bigster

Post by Bigster » Tue May 30, 2006 6:32 pm

Oooo Reg

Pandemonium at Bigster-Smurf brewery :o

The abbott ( plus dry hops ) has been in the barrel for over a week and , I know I shouldnt have but, have been handing out samples to friends, neighbours and basically anyone passing the door I am so proud. Great taste, good colour, marvellous head of steam and clear as glass.

However dispensed some for a guest tonight and it was cloudy as anything with hops in it. Now im not overly bothered with a bit of hops but there was a decent sized bit floating in it which concerns me regarding possible future problems.

Is this the hops dropping to the bottom and waiting another week or 2 should help?
Is it possible that some hops had blocked the tap and I have had a blowback causing the cloudiness?

Any reassurance / helpful tips gratefully received my brewing buddies

:beer

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue May 30, 2006 6:41 pm

:rolleyes: