Fermentors with Taps and/or little bottler

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
IanRMartin

Fermentors with Taps and/or little bottler

Post by IanRMartin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:00 pm

I'm about to buy a fementer and will most lickly be getting it with a tap. I will be bottling my brew so like the look of these little bottlers how ever it looks like a whole tap with a bottler on the end.

My question is can you have a tap then attach the little bottler to it (While the fermentor is full of brew!) or do you need to remove the tap from the fermenter then fit the little bottler (With fermenter empty)??

Thanks

Ian

tribs

Post by tribs » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:59 pm

I use a fermenter with tap and have a bottler available from most HB stores for under £5 (£3.50 from H&G) which attachs to the tap via 3/8" (10mm) tubing.

The little bottlers, I believe, require removing a normal fermenter tap.

IanRMartin

Post by IanRMartin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:05 am

Again top class advice!
Many Thanks
Ian

tribs

Post by tribs » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:45 am

I use http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/item1824.htm

It can be used with 3/8" or 5 /16" tubing and is cheap. I 've never tried but I think you can connect larger diameter tubing to the second barb higher up.

If used with 3/8" or 5/16" tubing you can connect directly to a bottling attachment such as http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/item1071.htm

IanRMartin

Post by IanRMartin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:25 am

QUOTE (tribs @ Jun 22 2006, 09:45 AM)I use http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/item1824.htm

It can be used with 3/8" or 5 /16" tubing and is cheap. I 've never tried but I think you can connect larger diameter tubing to the second barb higher up.

If used with 3/8" or 5/16" tubing you can connect directly to a bottling attachment such as http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/item1071.htm
Hi tribs,
I had been looking at these as well and couldn't work out what sizes of tubing would fit on the taps and bottlers. So with that tap and that bottler you can use standard 5/16" tubing to connect the two in one go?
Ian

tribs

Post by tribs » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:50 am

5/16" might be a bit on the tight side but if you immerse the ends of the tubing in hot water to soften it you should be able to stretch it over.

I use 3/8" (at least thats what I ordered) and it fits perfectly on both the tap and bottler.

IanRMartin

Post by IanRMartin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:22 am

QUOTE (tribs @ Jun 22 2006, 10:50 AM) 5/16" might be a bit on the tight side but if you immerse the ends of the tubing in hot water to soften it you should be able to stretch it over.

I use 3/8" (at least thats what I ordered) and it fits perfectly on both the tap and bottler.
Thanks for that tribs,
To be on the safe side i'll probably order a meter of both, i'm sure it will come in handy.

Just another quick question related to this the tap do you fit them your self to the fermenter bin or rather can you? i wanted to order a couple of bins and then fit the taps so i could set the height my self?

I'm guessing that all you need is a 1" hole, sharp stanley blade job, possibly?

Ian

Andy
Virtually comatose but still standing

Post by Andy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:29 am

A holesaw is better and a file or dremmel to slightly enlarge the hole if need be.

tribs

Post by tribs » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:34 am

I've found a 25mm Wood drill bit works perfectly for drilling the holes for taps. File the edges smooth and it fits perfectly.

IanRMartin

Post by IanRMartin » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:03 pm

Thanks Again folks!
Bit of DIY (read: bodge it :bonk ) required me thinks.
Ian

DarloDave

Re:

Post by DarloDave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:48 pm

DaaB wrote:Dont buy the little bottler, the tap is naff, the threads strip easily and the valve om the stick drips.
Get a standard bottling stick, push about an 1" worth of 3/8" tubing over the end as a sleeve then a 3" section of 1/2" tubing over that which will also push onto a WD lever tap. If you prefer a drum tap leave the 1/2" tubing in place and slide some 5/8" tubing over that which can the be attached to the drum tap.
Much in the same way i've done here, where i've stepped down to 1/2", just step down again to 3/8".

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anybody know if the black tap from hop and grape http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/catalog/de ... LA20021187& is a WD Lever tap as opposed to a drum tap? I was going to buy the little bottler, but am instead going to attatch a bottling stick to my tap which is the one in the link. So if it is, all I will need is the 2 pieces of tubing.

mitch

Re: Fermentors with Taps and/or little bottler

Post by mitch » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:30 pm

does anybody know if the black tap from hop and grape is a WD Lever tap
It is a WD lever tap but DaaB was probably referring to the red WD lever taps the HB shops used to stock (the old red WD taps had a smaller spout).

To connect my bottling stick to the black WD taps I use 8mm 12mm and 16mm tube (internal diameters).

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:31 pm

Where abouts can I get them sizes from? Cant see the right sizes on barley bottom

mitch

Post by mitch » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:27 pm

Where abouts can I get them sizes from? Cant see the right sizes on barley bottom
Hop & Grape sell them (Hop & Grape use metric descriptions, most other HB shops use imperial).

8mm ~ 5/16" (most HB shops sell this for syphoning)
12mm ~ 1/2" (Barley Bottom sells this as do most HB shops)
16mm is sold by Hop & Grape

If you can't get the 16mm tube then warm the 12mm tube and force it onto the tap.

Also, the tubes must be the non-braided type.

DarloDave

Post by DarloDave » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Cheers, will get some ordered