My BIAB build log

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chris246810

Re: My BIAB build log

Post by chris246810 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Nearly completed my build now, it's taken a while just working on it when I have the time and funds but I've very much enjoyed the project.

Just waiting on a temperature probe and some mini xlr cable connectors and I should be good to start testing it.
20160725_170751.jpg
20160725_170804.jpg
20160725_170840.jpg
20160725_170947.jpg

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:16 am

Finally finished putting this system together now and have used it for a couple of brews, thought I should share my view on how it's gone and any improvements I would make.
I probably should have listened to the earlier warnings regarding the poor flow through false bottom, my first brew suffered with a stuck mash and sparge, to get around this I had to stir the mash quite a bit and keep a close eye on it thoughout the mash, turnig pump on and off as needed. Hopefully it still turns out drinkable, i can cope with it being a bit cloudy.
For the second brew I added a couple of handfuls of rice hulls and give the mash ten minutes to settle before starting recirculation, this worked perfectly and I had no issue with poor circulation, im still undecided if I should add an overflow or not.
Next issue was with the bazooka filter, it sits a bit too low down in the pot, so it sits in all the trub and hop residue at the end of the cooling period, resulting in a very slow drain off to fermenter, to get around this I had to keep squeezing the hose to clear the path.
I'm not keen on the bazooka, it's a pain in the arse to clean, Im thinking I may just take it out and do a whirlpool before draining straight out without filtering, may add a filter to the other end of the hose if I still get a lot of trub going into fermenter
Last minor issue was with the control panel, I'd used a momentary switch for the pause on the timer circuit when it should have been a maintained switch, easy enough to fit, just waiting on the correct switch to arrive from China.

Overall I'm very happy with how it's all turned out and I'm pleased I went the diy route rather than buying something off the shelf.

Next projects I'm planning and working on:
yeast stir plate - looks very simple to put together, will get the majority of parts from aliexpress

Keezer - I have a small chest freezer which is the perfect size for two corny kegs, have already added a collar to run wires and pipes through, just need to get hold of some taps and shanks and mount them through the collar

Fermentation fridge upgrade - got hold of a couple of flashable stc1000s from aliexpress and flashed the stc1000+ firmware onto them, this was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be, just need to swap them over with the ones currently in there.

bigtoe

Post by bigtoe » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:30 pm

You just need a re circulation overflow like the GF has, Im building something similar to you but using a 14gallon SS Brewtech fermenter as the mash, boil, and fermentation pot, and dropping in a 33L pot like you with the base removed. Its a nice snug fit but i had worries the mash would overflow so the plan is to build in an overflow pipe on the false bottom which is adjustable like the GF one, if I can get hold of the GF one i will just use that as it saves machining time.
Its a cracking system they use and well worth copying.

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:03 am

That's a good idea, I've just emailed them asking if they can provide the overflow assembly as a spare part

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:32 pm

Built a similar setup, started as a bm clone and ended up as a gf clone. The overflow pipe is a very cleaver piece of engineering on the gf.

Have a look at my build and goto the last page, i got the overflow idea from ahb forum, and it works a treat.
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/foru ... ic=14901.0

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Few upgrades I've added

Overflow pipe made from a bit of 3/8 aluminium tube and the end cut off a bazooka filter for the fiter end, it slides over the end with a nice snug fit.

New brew stand made of aluminium and stainless parts that were going to scrap. Adds the advantage of being able to hook malt pipe on for drainage after mash and also can use gravity for sparging with hlt above malt pipe.

I'm now using a smartpid controller for brewday control. Works much better than my previous controller and has lots of added functionality.
20170520_190119.jpg
20170520_184510.jpg
20170520_190202.jpg

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Wed May 24, 2017 1:59 am

Cracking build thread with a super result, Also good to read about a Smartpid in operation ;)

Perhaps a bit of slow and careful fettling of a 22mm to 15mm copper end feed fitting would allow you to slide a length of 22mm copper tube up and down your central ally tube for a variable height mod to cater for flexible grain bills
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

chris246810

Post by chris246810 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:13 am

Thanks Fil. I've really enjoyed building this, almost as much as I enjoy drinking the beer it produces.
I did consider trying to make it adjustable but in the end I just went with using 3 different lengths of pipe than can easily be swapped over depending on how much grain is in the recipe.