New pellet hop filter review - Lautehex

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: New pellet hop filter review - Lautehex

Post by Kev888 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:11 am

Its very likely that the hot/cold break material may causing part of this. I had a similar hoop-shaped filter (though admittedly made from inferior braid), which 'always' stuck solid when there were no hops in the kettle - as initial use of a hop bag proved conclusively over several brews - the naked filter couldn't handle the break material (It was completely fine with hops there to filter the break material out).

Whirlpooling seems to be used any which way these days, but initially (to my memory) it was used in two ways. The first and most common was to keep the majority of solids away from an open/unfiltered outlet near the kettle wall (which would not be troubled by subsequent finer material). The second was to purposely cover a centrally place large mesh filter with hops, so that they formed a filter bed over it, to keep it from clogging with break material. If those approaches are valid, then its not impossible that whirlpooling with a filter around the edge could be exactly the wrong thing to do...

Cheers
Kev
Kev

malhal

Post by malhal » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Prob didn't work well because: "For your mash tun, it is recommended to have an extra loop in the center of the kettle. For a 45 cm kettle, the 175 cm filter works well (shown in the photos). For a 35 cm kettle, 120 cm is recommended."

From: https://store.brewpi.com/brewpi-matmill ... xe-kit-bsp

My guess is the extra bends open up the slinky and actually let stuff through rather than being sealed tight!

Anyway seems the Malt Mill have dropped the product, so obviously it was junk, swiftly moving on...

beersoulman

Post by beersoulman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 pm

malhal wrote:Prob didn't work well because: "For your mash tun, it is recommended to have an extra loop in the center of the kettle. For a 45 cm kettle, the 175 cm filter works well (shown in the photos). For a 35 cm kettle, 120 cm is recommended."

From: https://store.brewpi.com/brewpi-matmill ... xe-kit-bsp

My guess is the extra bends open up the slinky and actually let stuff through rather than being sealed tight!

Anyway seems the Malt Mill have dropped the product, so obviously it was junk, swiftly moving on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beersoulman

Post by beersoulman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:24 pm

I always use leaf hops as bittering as I find their quality is not as critical and save quality pellets for late addition . Leaf hops then help run off. Not advice ,just what I find works .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk