New pellet hop filter review - Lautehex

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Jocky
Even further under the Table

Re: New pellet hop filter review - Lautehex

Post by Jocky » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:12 pm

Pour the last of the hoppy crud out into a sieve lined with voile?

You really don't want to have to run a filter before a pump though unless you run it veeery slowly - the suction will pull down lots of crud and block your filter quickly.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

UpTheToon
Piss Artist

Post by UpTheToon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:30 pm

I didn't really think of that, a Lautehex might not be able to cope being connected to a pump? I have a plate chiller, but surely a lot of people do?

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:05 pm

I have tried alot of filter type designed and eventually concluded that whirlpooling is the best way. Having a boil kettle with as little probes and elements sticking into it will help with the vortex. :)
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

TheSumOfAllBeers

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:14 pm

Jocky wrote:Pour the last of the hoppy crud out into a sieve lined with voile?
This works an absolute treat for me.

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:27 pm

orlando wrote:I didn't see any filtering in the kettle, is that right, or is it somewhere else down the line?
Nope just let it settle for 20-30 mins and into fermenter

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:42 pm

I have one of these but from an Italian supplier for my BM but the design is obviously very similar. I tried this out today whilst WFH :D (I did overnight mash). I used leafs in a hop bag for bittering and 80g of pellets once and 75c for a half hour steep. On reaching 20c I then decided to transfer via a silicone hose with gravity. The transfer started off fine however after 5L it did start to slow and in the end took around an hour to get my desired 22L into the FV. Once drained I noticed that despite whirlpooling the pellets were all sitting around the filter at the tap side. I did whirlpool vigorously at the end of chilling.

I do have my BM sitting on a garage unit shelf and on reviewing I don't think it was dead centre and possibly sitting slightly lower at the tap end, as a result the whirlpool has attracted all the sludge to the front of the kettle. I'll need to try this again and make sure it is dead centre and on an even surface before I can fully be sure. I have to say the resultant wort was filtered perfectly and I just got on with work between checking it every 5/10 minutes.

I have another brewery pencilled in for this time next week whilst I build up stocks so hope to test it again then.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:30 am

I tried using my lauter hex with leaf hops yesterday... It clogged. Before I start adjusting it I'll give it a go with some old pellets. If that works then I could be persuaded to stick to pellets in future.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:32 am

Jocky wrote:I tried using my lauter hex with leaf hops yesterday... It clogged. Before I start adjusting it I'll give it a go with some old pellets. If that works then I could be persuaded to stick to pellets in future.
Did you whirlpool? Any pics?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:06 pm

I brewed up on Saturday using solely pellets. I managed a much better whirlpool than the last time and drained 23L within around 10 minutes or so.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:22 pm

orlando wrote:
Jocky wrote:I tried using my lauter hex with leaf hops yesterday... It clogged. Before I start adjusting it I'll give it a go with some old pellets. If that works then I could be persuaded to stick to pellets in future.
I tried - gave it a good spin and then let it sit for 10 minutes, but it didn't really have any effect - perhaps because I had 100g of leaf in about 14 litres of wort at the end.

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Jocky wrote:
orlando wrote:
I tried - gave it a good spin and then let it sit for 10 minutes, but it didn't really have any effect - perhaps because I had 100g of leaf in about 14 litres of wort at the end.
Did you use gravity or a pump?

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:43 pm

Gravity.

tuffty22

Post by tuffty22 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:07 pm

I bought one of these but Im struggling to work out how to connect mine.

I have a 3 piece tap at the bottom of the boiler with the thread on the inside of the pot.

Now I think the thread would fit directly to the lauterhexe but I obviously can turn the T joint round fully on the bottom of the pot.

How do I get this on ??

tuffty22

Post by tuffty22 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:28 pm

Rob has tweeted me back after a few minutes, great service !

Need to fit this first then the tap on after.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:05 pm

I have a 35mm 1/2" BSP running nipple. Screw that into the T-Piece and then put a washer with a seal on the inside of the pot and potentially another on the outside. Plenty of PTFE tape on the thread and just screw the tap on.