Electric brewery control panel build

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Electric brewery control panel build

Post by Haydnexport » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:35 pm

are they temp probe quick disconnect things? if so where did you get them and what are they called? ive tried in vain to find them before.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:44 pm

The temp probes looked like XLR connections.

Stoat on a rope

Electric brewery control panel build

Post by Stoat on a rope » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:48 am

Yep, at the control panel end they are XLR connectors, unless you mean the temp probes themselves (edit: yes they are quick disconnects), in which case you want these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-PT100-Tempe ... 1926362779

Only available from China it seems

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:58 am

I have been keeping a Pinterest board of most of the stuff I've used, generally the links are to the seller I purchased them from too with a few exceptions

http://pin.it/-GoX8l6

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:08 am

Stoat on a rope wrote:I have been keeping a Pinterest board of most of the stuff I've used, generally the links are to the seller I purchased them from too with a few exceptions

http://pin.it/-GoX8l6
It's not a complete list unfortunately, I might update it at some point. Some things like the push buttons were hard to find in certain colours, and items seem to come and go on the Chinese sellers ebay profiles. Also sometimes I found I had to order 5 of an item when I only needed one or two, but it's so cheap I wasn't too bothered.

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:24 pm

Could I use that probe from an st1000 ?

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:52 pm

It appears not unfortunately, something to do with the difference between thermocouples and thermistors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:07 pm

If you really wanted to use one of those temp probes, you could maybe change your STC1000 to a 1/32 din pid, provided they are capable of running on 240v Ac power. Someone else might know better

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:46 pm

Cheers :D

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:05 pm

The STC uses an NTC two wire temp sensor, so you could easily make something similar with a thermowell, and the sensor pushed inside. If you wanted to be able to detach the wire then put on either an inline XLR or an inline aviation connector. The latter are mainly available from China. Or use something like this. Cheap and waterproof.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pin-Car-Water ... 1762248519

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:20 pm

Brilliant cheers :D

D4nny74
Hollow Legs

Post by D4nny74 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:56 pm

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:14 pm

This is ace. I'm drooling a bit.

I expect I'll end up building something like this one day. Currently I'm just thinking about building a HLT controller with a timer.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 pm

I first came across the basis for this build some years ago when I was designing a control box that did everything I wanted it to do, and basically ended up scrapping my design for this one then adding to it. You could easily take this control box further (a few guys on jims have added rims/herms) and add as much functionality as you want (though you would need a bigger box!).

The one thing I would change so far is to remove the emergency stop and instead have it before the power reaches the control box (which would make sense on a safety side) but I also like the idea of my red light that indicates the emergency stop has been activated :)

This is where I'm at as of last night

themadhippy
Even further under the Table

Post by themadhippy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:45 pm

if normal xlr's are to big theres the mini xlr range of connectors,butbe aware they only take tiny cable http://www.switchcraft.com/category.aspx?Parent=806
Warning: The Dutch Coffeeshops products may contain drugs. Drinks containing caffeine should be used with care and moderation