Electric brewery control panel build

The forum for discussing all kinds of brewing paraphernalia.
chris246810

Re: Electric brewery control panel build

Post by chris246810 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:50 pm

i used mini xlrs on my panel due to space restrictions, the cable connectors were a nightmare to solder as the pins are so close together, a very steady hand required

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:59 pm

How do the timers affect the other components? I'd like to build a box where I can set my HLT to come on at a set time and start heating the water to a preset temperature, and then hold it there.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:58 pm

My control box doesn't have that functionality, the PIDs themselves can't do that BUT they can be wired in conjunction with a clock (my timer does countdown for boil etc but doesn't have a clock function) that outputs a signal at a certain time to achieve what you are after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:34 pm

Jocky wrote:How do the timers affect the other components? I'd like to build a box where I can set my HLT to come on at a set time and start heating the water to a preset temperature, and then hold it there.

rather than faff about with digital timers why not get a simple segment timer, a plug in job should be fine as its only switching on the controller..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:07 pm

You can also get electronic or mechanical timers specifically designed for elements (immersion heater timers). I used one on my last setup; was very pleasant to have the Thermostatically controlled) HLT already hot on getting up in the morning. In retrospect I just wish I'd gone for a simple 24hr one; the weekly version added unnecessary faff to setting the thing.

EDIT: A smidgen of care is needed with permanent setups to ensure that the power gets switched off manually after brew day - i.e. to stop the empty HLT switching on in the wee hours.

Nice looking control box, BTW!
Kev

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:34 am

In place and running fine! Still needs labels which I'm getting printed today on vinyl by a friend for free, one day I might spring for the proper plastic tags.

Had to replace the amp meter, appears I blew up the first one whilst testing it with a model train power supply.

One question that someone might be able to answer... The amp reading seems to jump around a lot, with just the control panel powered up the amps jump around between -0.1 to 5, no change when I run a pump but then they don't really draw many amps. This surely isn't right? The only thing I can think of is that I've also buggered the AC/DC converter.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

K

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:28 pm

pure sexiness that is !

Stewb

Post by Stewb » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:31 pm

That really looks amazing, inside and out. Nice stuff!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:19 am

Nice work. That's a smart-looking control panel. 8)

I love the ignition keys everyone puts in their control boxes. I can just imagine the late-night arguments...

Pissed Home-brewer: I'm jush gonna make shome more beer now. Lesh make shome more beer to drink...
Friend: Give me the keys, pal. Friends don't let friends brew drunk.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:40 am

Great looking box. I too put a key switch in my box, but leave the key in all the time which kind of negates the point of the key system. I had this strange notion that others may get access to the system and switch it on dry. Hardly likely as it's only me and the wife who have access to where it is, but at least the H&S inspectors would give me a pat on the back if they ever visited. :D

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:18 am

Haha I came to the same conclusions. If you're getting robbed would they be so nasty as to play around with your brew system? Probably not, but having to use a key makes you feel a little bit more like you're Batman. I was disappointed that I couldn't find a reason to use my missile launch switch covers though that I had on my last control box.

Stoat on a rope

Electric brewery control panel build

Post by Stoat on a rope » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:20 am

Just finished putting the labels on

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:31 am

Looks the bees knees now. =D>

Hogarth
Under the Table

Post by Hogarth » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:03 pm

Very nice. I like the 'can't turn them both on' element switch -- good idea.

Now you'll feel like a guy who's truly in control. :D

Stoat on a rope

Post by Stoat on a rope » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:20 pm

Yeah I contemplated various options for the elements, but this is the simplest really. However fancy switches don't stop you from being an idiot... when I fired it up earlier I realised I had the wires going to the wrong SSRs, and instead of heating the full HLT I had a glowing element in the empty Kettle fortunately I smelled the burning quite quickly and no damage was done.